Question about Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable

2 Answers

Different HZs problem (from 60Hz to 50Hz)

I live in Greece (220V/50Hz) and I bought an SL1200MK2 from USA (120V/60Hz) hoping that with an AC converter the turntable would be working alright. I have realised that the converter only deals with the convertion of 120V to 220V but not with the 60Hz to 50Hz. That Hz difference makes the motor work in an unsteady speed continuously! What can i do to fix that? is there a Hz convertor too? My next option is to find a 'European' motor and put it on. But even if i decide to do that, where can i find one??? Thanx...

Posted by Eko-Tiger on

  • Kasha_x Jan 27, 2008

    I have the same problem! What did you do to solve it Eko-Tiger?



2 Answers


  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I had a similar problem. My european Akai turntable 220v 50 Hz I'm using here in Brazil (where there are available both 110v or 220v but just 60 Hz).

In the eBay I bought:
- 220v 60 Hz -> 12v stabilized transformer;
- 12v -> 220 50 hz inverter;
- 110-220v noise filter.
I spent less than 100 US$

In your case, you would simply buy a 12v -> 110 60 Hz inverter.

Beware: if you are interested in a perfect sound, zero noise, crystal sound, maybe this would not be a perfect solution for you (but in this case you should use a CD player instead, ah ah ah - just kidding ;-).

Depending on model, the inverter could add a small background noise.
I accept it, since I can hear it just at high volume and with the turntable stopped. But of course somebody can find it not acceptable.

This is a low-cost solution for that vintage equipements you're using basically to have a flash-back in 70's and 80's...

Hope it will help you.

Giovanni Verrua
Italy / Brazil

Posted on Oct 09, 2011


Louie Role

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Brigadier General:

    An expert that has over 10,000 points.

  • Master
  • 6,966 Answers


Yes there are frequency converters available but most are relatively over rated (industrial) for your requirement such as MDS Power or VisiComm Industries. What you need is a Low Power Solid State Frequency Converters lower than a
Electrocon Frequency Converters. However, I expect this devices to be rather expensive.

A few other options you may want to consider:
1. Contact the store where you bought if from; swap with an International version (Model SL-1210 Mark II; same price as SL-1200 Mark II); dual voltage switchable on rear of unit: 120 volts/60 Hz (U.S.) or 220 volts/50 Hz (Europe). You hopefully just spend for the cost of shipping + a restocking fee;
2. Contact 3rd party Technics TT specialist like TopDJGear, Quality Electronics, Planet DJ or DJHardware
and inquire if they would supply you the part(s) that you need to convert the 1200 to a 1210; or
3. Offer a swap on eBay.

Hope this be of some idea/help. Pls post back how things turned out or should you need additional information.

Good luck and kind regards.

Posted on Nov 13, 2007


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My relative send me a luxor tv its in the philippines we use 60hrz.,is it possible and safe

is there no small slide switch at the back of the tv
10 volt difference
may need an converter to make up 10 volts

The more significant difference is that 60Hz systems usually use 110V (120V) or thereabouts for the domestic power supply, while 50Hz systems tend to use 220V, 230V etc

read this information on the 50 and 60 hrz
Difference between 50Hz and 60Hz frequency

Nov 02, 2016 | Luxor Televison & Video

1 Answer

Is it possible to use this turntable from UK 220V 50Hz, in the US 110V 60Hz?

Go to Radio shack or other electronic places and buy the correct converter for it.

May 18, 2015 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Do i need a power converter when in germany

Coming from the USA, yes. EU voltage is 220v 50hz. USA is 120v 60hz. get a convertor!

I’m happy to assist further over the phone at

Apr 29, 2014 | Mega Motion Elite 8

2 Answers

Bought in USA,charged in Dubai and seems to no longer worker. Has the change in voltage broken it?

That's entirely possible. American devices are designed for 120 volts 60hz, but Europe uses 240 volts 50hz... Wich is double the voltage and a different frequency. You probably blew the transformer.

Jul 01, 2011 | Tivoli PAL Radio

1 Answer

I have a Netgear wireless router WGR614 v5 with the AC adapter of 120V-60Hz-16W. I've moved to Europe where the electricity is 220V. Can I use an AC adapter of 220V for this wireless router? Thanks a lot...

Yes, make sure you have a new power supply with the right voltage output, enough current (if the new power supply is rated for more current output, it will be OK), and the right plug with the right polarity.

Check your power supply, some will actually work with a wide range of voltage, some actually go from 100-250VAC. 50Hz-60Hz

Jan 05, 2011 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router

1 Answer

Can I run a US bought PS 3 (120v 60Hz) unit on a 220v 50 Hz power system?

Yes you can,,as i am running Canadian bought ps3 in Pakistan 50hz 220v

Dec 28, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console

2 Answers


Look on the side of the clipper handle. You ahould see what appears to be a screw. With your clipper plugged in and turned on, turn that screw with a screw driver in either direction, the noise you are talking about should quiet down quite a bit,

Aug 21, 2009 | Oster Health & Beauty

2 Answers

Kitchen aid stand mixer bought in US, moving to Europe, 220v 50hz

I can not respond to the warranty issues. My kitchen aid mixer is past warranty as well. I live in a country that uses 220V and my kitchen aid mixer is 110V. I have been using my kitchen aid mixer for almost 4 years with no problems at all.

The converter boxes are supposed to blow the fuse on the converter before it reaches your appliance and cause any problems.

If you purchase a 220V kitchen aid (although it would cost more money) it would probably have more power because of the higher voltage.

Hope this helps!

Jul 29, 2009 | KitchenAid KSM150PS Artisan Series Stand...

2 Answers

Converting 120v AC adapter to 220v AC adapter

I live in the Philippines, but I've got relatives in the US who send me gadgets as gifts. I've had the same problem with my laptop before but when I called HP call center, they said that as long as it says there input 100 - 240V, then it's ok to plug it in a 110 or 220 socket. Here in the PH, we have 220V sockets, but Americans use 110.

Anyway, your phone says it can only be plugged to a 120V socket (max) so that means, you have to use a transformer (that's what we call it here. a black box-like thing) to convert the volts from 220 to 110. If you plug your phone directly, it might explode.

I hope i answered your problem.

Nov 27, 2008 | Lands Phones

1 Answer


Do you have the input voltage switch set to 120V 60hz. There is a switch that should change from 120v/60hz to 220v/50hz. In the US this should be on 120v/ 60hz

Jul 02, 2008 | Yamaha YST-SW215 Subwoofer

Not finding what you are looking for?
Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable Logo

1,000 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Technics Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

5700 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76407 Answers


Level 3 Expert

85239 Answers

Are you a Technics Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides