I cleaned the lint from the whole thing, checked the breakers and plug. Still will not start. How to fix this. When I turned it on it made a clank and thud. Maybe broken belt? How do I tell? Is there a reset?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Your dyer has several "overheat" switches or thermostats built in to prevent overheating and possible fire. You will be needing to "tear the whole thing apart" to find the problem. Start with the air ducting. Easy way to check it is to disconnect the hose from the back and see if it still shuts off too soon. If it does not, your vent to the outside is plugged and is causing the problem. If it still happens, you will need to clean the whole machine of accumulated lint by taking it all apart. Big job. Then try it. If it still misbehaves, you have a bad "fuse" or "switch" inside the back or the bottom. There are as many as 6 on some models. An electrical tester will help you find the "tripped switch". Be blessed.
Always unplug the appliance before working on it. I would suggest checking the circuit breaker in the breaker box for your apartment, to see if it has tripped. You have probably already done this, but try to reset (open all the way and then close) the circuit breaker. Plug the power cord in again and try to operate the dryer. If it trips the circuit breaker again, there is a short circuit or a ground, and you should unplug the machine and diagnose the problem. 240 volts AC, when shorted or grounded can start fires or kill people. Many Dryers are equipped with a "non-resettable thermal fuse". When the air being blown through the dryer gets too hot, this thing melts and opens up the entire power circuit.The dyer doesn't do anything, as if it had no power. This non-resettable thermal fuse can usually be purchased from the manufacturer or a good appliance supply store, and comes in a kit which also includes a new thermostat, to replace the one that probably failed and overheated the machine to start with. Get a friend who is an Electrician to help you if you are at all unsure of replacing parts in your power circuit. Be sure to unplug the machine / use a VOM to check it dead before you touch anything electrical. BE SAFE. 240 Volts AC is not just playing around.
There is a reminder light to "Check Lint Filter" near the lower right of the cycle knob. It will come on every time the power button is pushed. After cleaning the lint filter, if the "check lint screen" light does not go off, it is likely that the touch pad control will need replacement.
you did not say how old? but I find that all it takes is one wire to get old, and starts to heat up because electric cant flow through it, then it gets worse and worse fast, then heats up the whole block, till the whole thing gets melted...bad thing is its happens slow enough that the standard 30 amp breaker won't trip during this slow melt down!
A couple suggestions: (1) The switch in the front may be bad. It's the switch that turns the dryer off when you open the door. (2) Make sure the door latch keeps the door shut. If it is worn and the door isn't shut tight, the switch will not let it start. Hope this helps.