Question about Audio Players & Recorders

2 Answers

Subwoofer Connection: Speaker wire to Mono RCA

I have a subwoofer whose only output is speaker wire and a brand new Sony STR-DG710 receiver whose subwoofer output is a mono RCA jack.

Is it possible to hook up my Sub to this Receiver? Is there any sort of adapter I can purchase to go from speaker wire to mono RCA or am I going to need to purchase a new sub with a mono RCA output?

Link to Sonys page for STR-DG710

Link to Panasonics page for my Home Theater System. I'm using the speakers and sub from this unit.

I appreciate any help you guys here can provide. Oh, and if it turns out I do need a new sub any recommendations for a decent quality but inexpensive one?

Posted by RykIII on

  • 8 more comments 
  • RykIII Oct 31, 2007

    I'm sorry. I meant my subwoofers only INPUT is speaker wire.

  • thehoox Dec 20, 2007

    How do I connect a sub-woofer/amp to a receiver that has no sub-woofer output?

  • jack697 Feb 09, 2008

    i dont no how to connect the subwoofer with all the speakers so that only bass comes out? i get both and i dont no wht to do?

  • Anonymous Apr 16, 2008

    My new Yamaha Reciever has 1 output for the Yamaha Sub that has 2 inputs black or red, which one can I use, if either..

    Thank You, Don

  • sreif1825 Jun 22, 2008

    I have the same problem....any help here?

  • avamar23 Jul 21, 2008

    I also have a problem with my subwoofer. I do not know how to connect my sub to my receiver (Harman Kardon). It is a power sub but only has speaker output and volume knob in it. My receiver has a mono preout for subwoofer. How can I possibly use the sub as a LFE in my hometheater viewing?
    Your help would be much appreciated.


  • jayson_1173 Aug 10, 2008

    How can I connect my Sony str-da3200es receiver to my subwoofer? the sony has only one subwoofer rca output but my subwoofer has 2 line input (L-R). thanks...

  • Lola BigC Nov 12, 2008

    I have the same problem - my new receiver has just the RCA jack but my subwoofer only has +/- speaker wire inputs. Are we sure that there is no such wire that would have an RCA jack at 1 end and speaker wire input on the other?

  • sfrantz1 Mar 19, 2009

    I have an old receiver with no sub pre-out and a new sub with a single pre-out. Can I add the new sub to the old receiver? Receiver has two fronts, 1 rear and two center speaker connectors.

  • Efrem Dec 12, 2013

    It's impossible to conect them , because on the receiver You have signal output and the subwoofer need voltage input.You need receiver with output for passive subwoofer or extra amplifier for the subwoofer



2 Answers


  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

The easiest solution to use your subwoofer is to buy an amp for it. Any old stereo receiver from a garage sale will probably do just fine.

  1. Connect the mono RCA subwoofer output from your Sony with a 1xRCA-to-2xRCA splitter to both the left and right input of the cheap reciever's tape or aux input
  2. connect both speaker outputs of the cheap reciever to the speaker input on your subwoofer. make sure both black (-) outputs on the reciever connect to the black input on the sub, and the red outputs (+) on the reciever are both connected to the red input on the subwoofer.
  3. make sure the cheap receiver's volume is all the way down. turn your Sony up to about the loudest you'll listen to it. turn up the subwoofer amp until it's loud enough to sound good.
  4. leave the subwoofer amp alone, the Sony volume will all you ever need to touch from now on.

You can even now turn off your subwoofer / adjust the volume easily now!

Posted on Nov 11, 2007



  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

My av receiver didnot have preout for surround spkr.I want to add extra amplifer to my surround spkr.Can any one suggest what to do or can i directly connect spkr wire to amplifer.

Posted on Mar 17, 2008


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a Sony STR-DE597 FM/AM Receiver .It has audio out plug and i have a Jensen js650 100 watt Subwoofer. how can i hook them up. Thanks.

The reason you may find it difficult to connect the Sony Receiver to the Jensen JS650 is that the JS650 does not have a line level input (RCA) to match the RCA subwoofer output of the STR-DE597 receiver. In this case, all you need to do is connect an extra set of speaker wires from the "Speaker B" Left and Right speaker connections on the back of the Sony to the speaker input connectors on the Jensen. On the front panel of the Sony, select speakers A+B settings so that the subwoofer is on in parallel with the front speakers.

I hope this answer is helpful to your home system set up.

Feb 15, 2015 | Sony STR-DE597 Receiver

1 Answer

I have a Sony STR-DE597 FM/AM Receiver .It has audio out plug and i have a Jensen js650 100 watt Subwoofer. how can i hook them up? Thanks.

The Jensen JS650 does not accept line level input so you need to use the Front B speaker output from your Sony receiver and not the RCA subwoofer output. Even though your subwoofer is active, it does not support line level (RCA) signals.

Just connect the subwoofer as you would a pair of speakers. Once connected, you make sure the front panel speaker switch on the Sony is set to A+B so you get sound from your existing speakers (A) and subwoofer (B).

I hope that works for you.

Feb 15, 2015 | Sony STR-DE597 Receiver

1 Answer

Hi, having a problem with my Sony STR - DB790 amplifier. All my surround sound speakers work fine, but my subwoofer is not. The subwoofer has power and is connected using the co axial cable. The...

RCA cable. It's called RCA when carrying Line Level audio; Coaxial when carrying digital data.

Does the sub work when you run speaker setup? It's in the manual.

Apr 01, 2011 | Sony STR-DB790 Receiver

1 Answer

Trying to use a passive subwoofer with STR-DE445

The output of the Sony is "signal only" not power. Being "passive" like your sub. What you need is a sub amp, and they are not cheap, 400-600 on average "min". Unless you have a Velodyne 15 or 18, just get an amplified sub, they start around 150 new. Hope this helps

Mar 27, 2009 | Sony STR-DE445 Receiver

1 Answer

Sony-DG820 Subwoofer

The powered subwoofer should be connected to the black subwoofer output near the bottom of the receiver in just about the center. A subwoofer uses line level signals and has its own amplifier, Good chance that you wiped out a channel. Put the wiring back the way it was, and IF the channel was not directly connected to the speaker terminals, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE it will still work.
Chances are slim...

Apr 27, 2017 | Sony STR-DG820 Receiver

2 Answers

Connect powered subwoofer

  • If your receiver has a dedicated subwoofer line level output, we recommend connecting your subwoofer to this jack. Most receivers will have just one (mono) subwoofer output, while quite a few subs require two inputs. You can use an RCA "Y" adapter cord , which is a cable with one female RCA jack at one end, and two male RCA plugs at the other. Some receivers require menu settings (such as "sub-on" or "front speakers-small") that must be made before the sub output will be active.

  • Nov 22, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders

    2 Answers

    Subwoofer connection

    if this is ao powered sub, that plugs into the wall, there should be no problems, if it is powered solely by the reciever it may work fine but be sure you dont exceed amperage on the subwoofer.

    Jan 28, 2008 | Bose 151SE Main / Stereo Speaker

    4 Answers

    No sound coming from subwoofer

    sometimes these subwoofers are for builtin amplified if this is the case it will not work

    Oct 25, 2007 | Sony STR-DG510 Receiver

    2 Answers


    Most AV receivers do not have a built in amplifier block to drive a subwoofer, and merely provide the subwoofer output channel at line voltage. Thus, a powered subwoofer is required. Does the subwoofer require mains power? From your description, I'm guessing it doesn't. If not, it does not have a buit in amplifier, you will need to purchase a monoblock amplifier, which is just a mono amplifier with a volume control, no tone controls or anything else. Make sure that the amplifier power rating is as close as possible to the subwoofer power rating, as it is quite possible to blow a speaker by using an amplifier whose power output is too low, by overdriving the amplifier , and putting DC through the voice coil when the amplifier clips. If it does require mains power, it will have an amplifier built in, but does not have line level inputs.

    Sep 14, 2007 | Polk Audio CSi40 Center Speaker

    Not finding what you are looking for?
    Audio Players & Recorders Logo

    Related Topics:

    19,211 people viewed this question

    Ask a Question

    Usually answered in minutes!

    Top Audio Players & Recorders Experts


    Level 3 Expert

    13434 Answers


    Level 3 Expert

    5700 Answers

    The Knight
    The Knight

    Level 3 Expert

    76287 Answers

    Are you an Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

    Answer questions

    Manuals & User Guides