RCA 32V550T 32" TV Logo

Question about RCA 32V550T 32" TV

2 Answers

Cannot tape on vcr with new dvd-vcr player

On cable hookup, bought a new dvd-vcr and installed it on my rca model f27450 tv and had to also buy a rf modulator and hook it up, but im unable to record any tapes off tv, screen just turns blue.

Posted by slingshot242 on

  • 5 more comments 
  • slingshot242 May 26, 2009

    im on local tv cable, the cable runs through an rf modulator, from the modulator to the tv set. all the rca cables are hooked to the rf modular to the new dvd-vcr according to manual. problem is that you cannot watch what you are recording, or even record anything. the screen just remains blue.

  • slingshot242 May 27, 2009

    ive not got a dvr but a dvd/cd player, and ive still got the same problem, cannot record off the tv set. it will play a pre-recorded tape that i taped off a old vcr that now is torn up but will not


  • slingshot242 May 27, 2009

    ive not got a DVR, i have a newly boughht Magnavox DV225MG9

    DVD/CD player with video cassette recorder.

  • slingshot242 May 27, 2009

    i hooked the cables acording to the manual that came with the unit, the cable from the cable company is hooked to an rf-modulator, and then out to the tv set. then there is a set of rca cables from the rf-modulato to the DVD/CD player on the the dvd/vcr audio and vidio output side

  • slingshot242 May 27, 2009

    the DVD/CD player has no place for a cable, only rca jacks

  • Robert Kitaji May 11, 2010

    How do you have the units hooked up? Are you on normal broadcast, satellite, or cable?

    Do you have the units hooked up from the signal source to the DVR to the TV?

  • JoniLW Apr 19, 2014

    Solved the issue. Thanks everyone! Wrong power cord



2 Answers


  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

Can you use your old vcr (if it works) as a stand in tuner, if you don't have the cable modulator?

Posted on Feb 02, 2010

  • JoniLW Feb 03, 2010

    Is it possible to just use my older vcr as a tuner?



Robert Kitaji

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,335 Answers

You need to route the signal from the cable modulator to the DVR and then to the TV to be able to view and record. If this is done you will be able to watch what you are recording. When you are not recording, the signal will go through the DVR to the TV.
Please change the cabling and you should have what you want.

Posted on May 26, 2009

  • Robert Kitaji May 27, 2009

    The cable from the modulator should go to the DVD/CD player and then to the TV. Is your system hooked up this way?

  • Robert Kitaji May 27, 2009

    Since your VCR/DVD unit does not have it's own tuner, you must hook it up between your cable modulator (external tuner) and the TV. This is specifically addressed on page 12 of your user manual.

    Since you only have a RG-2 cable from the modulator you will have to get a cable to RCA converter to be able to use the unit correctly to record.

    see the discussion on CNET on this subject.


    The demodulator can be found at


    Please adjust the rating for this solution. Thanks.



Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:


I have an RCA VCR model VR651HF that still works great. I can record shows without a problem as long as I'm not trying to watch a dvd. I recently bought a Sony dvd player model DVP SR200. I have my cable...

The sequence should go from the wall to the VCR then the VCR to the RF modulator then from the RF modulator to the TV and this should allow you to record a TV program and watch a DVD at the same time.

RF Modulators and cable connections


For a TV with only a RF input jack, a RF Modulator can be used to hookup DVD players, DVD recorders and other devices which output RCA composite video and audio. For example, analog cable TV can be connected using a RG-6 type coaxial cable to a VCR or older DVD recorder's analog cable ready tuner RF input. Then as shown above, the output can be connected to the TV thru the RF modulator. The modulator outputs on channel 3 or 4 for the older TV so the TV is set to channel 3 or 4. Some RF modulators are built-in to Audio/Video switch boxes. These allow multiple RCA inputs along with RF input.


The modulator converts signals to channel 3 or 4 so older TVs can tune them on their analog tuners channel 3 or 4.

RF Modulator - buy online

There has got to be a way

I have this model..was trying to hook it up to a directv hughes receiver. After a day of trying and many curse words I found that using this hookup works . Hook up your satellite connection to you tv as usual...Now plug rca cables(red, yellow white) into the corresponding holes on the BACK of the Directv receiver ..now plug the rca cables into the FRONT of the Magnavox player...you will only use find holes for the white and yellow(that's ok) Now hook up up the dvd player to the tv using the rca connection back of dvd/vcr player..or if your tv only has a coax connection you will need a rf modulator available at walmart etc. You will run the dvd/vcr on L2. The key is the connections to the FRONT of the dvd/vcr player..I hope this helps..:)

I have a ViP 722. It has no rf output for TV1, just the hookup for TV2. The multi RCA hookup for HD. HD is not as important to me as is a clean picture and audio on my TV. No matter how I do it, I get a...

Okay I am not positive I have this right as far as the configuration of the system but I will give it a shot. If you run the 722 to the tv using rca's you get the hum. I assume this as there are no inputs on a dish 722 receiver. I can suggest one possible solution which is to buy an rf modulator. It will convert the signal from rca to coax so you can connect as you wish. There are several types out there so ensure you get the one that converts from rca to coax. I would suggest the following configuration: Remove all connections from tv and hook 722 up via rca's to rca input 1 on the tv, check for hum. If it is present now you need a new 722 as it is passing to much power thru the connection. If there is no hum connect your cable and tivo to the tv via whatever inputs you have remaining. Lastly connect the DVD player to another input that is free. You will have to system through your inputs to view the three sources but should not have the hum. I hope this solves your issue. Thanks for using Fix Ya and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

60hz hum

I sent a solution to this already. If you did not receive please let me know. Thanks for using Fix Ya.


your model is "tuner free" that means it does not have the RF screw in connector. Buy one that has a tuner, preferably both ATSC(USA digital) and NTSC(USA analog)

Toshiba Model: SD-V295 DVD/VCR Combo Setup for TV recording

The proper hookup is antenna or cable into the VCR RF/antenna input, then VCR RF/antenna output to the TV RF input. The hookup you describe means no signal is getting to the VCR.

With some TVs, there can be Video and audio output jacks which can be hooked to the video and audio jacks of the VCR. However this would likely mean you could only record the channel being watched, and, the TV would have to be on.

Trying to Install

Do you have the red, white and yellow hookups on the back of your TV????? If you don't then you need to get an RF Modulator. You can buy one at Walmart. Older TVs don't have the red, white and yellow hookups. You hook up the RF modulator with a short cable to the cable outlet on your TV. Then you plug in your DVD player to the RF modulator. You also plug your cable for the TV into the RF modulator. It really is very simple. Directions are included with the RF modulator. You will need a short piece of cable also.

RCA TV - Trying to hookup new dvd/vcr player to old tv with only antenna input

The input on your television is probably coaxial (for cable or an antenna) which means it needs an RF modulated signal. You can find one of those at your local department or electronics stores. Just look for an "RF Modulator" or "video-RF convertor." They're most commonly used to hook video games up to older televisions.

Now, if you've got an old VCR handy, that has an external input, it already has the RF modulator built-in.

VCR not recording higher-numbered channels

Yes coming in her VCR with Cable or ant, if she has satellite it would be different. Going out to tv from VCR. Then in is Input the Out is Output. RF cable connection or A/V inputs(jacks) either one same way of hookup.
Not finding what you are looking for?


Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top RCA Televison & Video Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76851 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2351 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6554 Answers

Are you a RCA Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides