Here is what you will need. This is assuming you do not have a HD cable box.
1) A two port cable splitter available at your local hardware or electronics store. VERY IMPORTANT- this splitter needs to pass up to 1000 mghz so you do not interfere with the functions of the cable box. Also, when purchasing this don't be fooled gold does not always equal good (a common mistake made by folks).
2) 1 small coax cable.
3) 3 Additional coax cables. (1 long enough to reach from the wall to the cable box. 1 long enough to reach from cable box to the TV. 1 long enough to reach from wall to the VCR. These cables should be RG6 coax cable (about the width of a standard wooden pencil)
4) 2 RCA cables (Yellow/Red/White)
Here is how you need to connect the cables....
1) Use the small coax cable and connect it from the WALL to the INPUT of the two way SPLITTER.
2) Use one of the coax cables and connect it to the OUTPUT of the SPLITTER. Connect the other end of this cable to the INPUT of the CABLE BOX.
3) Use one of the coax cables and connect it to the OUTPUT of the CABLE BOX to the INPUT of the TV.
4) Use one of the coax cables and connect it to the OUTPUT of the SPLITTER. Connect the other end of this cable to the INPUT of the VCR.
5) Use one of the RCA cables and connect to the DVD/VHS COMMON OUT on the VCR. Connect the other end of this cable to the VIDEO IN on the back of the TV.
6) Use the other RCA cable and connect it to the VIDEO OUT on the back of the CABLE BOX. Connect the other end to the IN 1 on the back of the VCR.
Here is how to set up the VCR-
1) Tune the TV to the video input that you connected the VCR to.
2) Go to the auto program in the menus for the VCR and select "CABLE" as the source and you should now be able to get all the channels you would normally get without the cable box.
3) This will give you the option to record shows from basic cable on the VCR. While copying these channels you will still be able to tune the TV to CH 3 for the cable box and watch TV normally through the cable box.
4) If you want to copy one of the channels that is only available with the cable box you will still be limited to only being able to watch that channel while it is recording but here is how you will do it.
- Tune the CABLE BOX to the channel you want to record.
- Tune the TV to the VIDEO INPUT you have the VCR connected to.
- Select either VCR or DVR on the VCR.
- Select recording mode.
- Press the INPUT SELECT button.
- Select IN 1.
- Press RECORD.
Hope this has been helpful....