Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

Question about Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Magic Chef Microwave

Has been working great till this past weekend, was cooking Turnip...Microwave shut off and then came back on in about 10 minutes. Now each time I try and use it it does the same thing and before it does it the turntable is not turning its usual speed. I have checked the turntable rollers etc.

Posted by campbema on

  • Anonymous Nov 19, 2007

    Not exactly the same problem, but close. After using the microwave and at the same time self cleaning the oven below it, the microwave shut itself down. My guess is over heating and it kicked itself off. Once it cooled down the power returned and again was fully operational. However I will be cleaning out all the vents and air ways.



2 Answers

William Miller

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 9,179 Answers

.The magnetron is probably the thing overheating.

Proper airflow is indeed crititcal to keeping it cool, but once it goes bad, it can overheat each time it's used.

For more help from Magic Chef / Ewave : http://www.mcappliance.com/ ; Contact page http://www.mcappliance.com/contactus/contactus.asp ; Order
parts https://www.mcappliance.com/orderparts.aspx

Posted on Nov 26, 2007

  • William Miller
    William Miller Nov 26, 2007

    We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.




  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 11 Answers

The problem is related to a thermal cutoff shutting down the unit due to the something (turntable motor?) overheating due to poor ventilation. You need to open the unit and ensure that all aeration opening are free of dust and grease. Compressed air works great for cleaning the internal components.



Posted on Oct 11, 2007


Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:


Chef Banquet - turns off after 7 minutes? Why

It appears the problem is in the keypad controller board, it will only run for 7 minutes and give a loud beep, you need a professional for this, to assess the situation.

I have a Magic Chef microwave MCO160UB. I was cooking on the stove (microwave wasn't on) and the fan came on as it has done before. After a few minutes, it shut off and is now completely dead. I...

If the microwave is above the stove, the heat sensors in the microwave
may turn on fans to cool it even though the microwave itself is not
running. It tries to save its life. It should turn off when the stove is not
heating it.

Microwave still runs but is not cooking food

Sounds like a bad magnetron, i would replace the magnetron, Capacitor and Diode at the mag assembly, to be honest it will cost you more to fix than a new one.............

Shuts down for 5 minutes

I have the same problem with my new magic cheff over the stove microwave oven. I call magic chef and they gave me the 800 number for the service center (1-800-775-0202). When I described the problem they told me to just put a plate under the popper and this wouldn't happen anymore. I haven't tried it yet but here's hoping.

MCO160UW goes dead after 3 minutes

I returned the item to Home Depot and they took it back no questions asked.

Oven turns off


You are running the risk of damaging the Magnatron by doing this.

Check the packets you are using, you will have to reduce your power output.

This is because microwaves act by being absorbed by water. There is very little in popcorn and in fat. Once this has been evaporated, the microwave energy builds up (as it is still being produced - but not absorbed), and ends up cooking the magnatron itself.

I have seen countless posts on here after cooking popcorn!

More fun on the hob anyway - and cheaper to buy in bulk!

Magic Chef MCO153UW

The cooling fan is a must!

Otherwise, the magnetron will be ruined, and that drives up the repair cost.

If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can order parts here: https://www.mcappliance.com/partorder.aspx

To contact Magic Chef about getting an *authorized* servicer, see: http://www.mcappliance.com/contactus/contactus.asp

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Microwave stopped working completely

Fan turned on after cooking because a thermostat got to hot and tripped turning on the fan to try to cool the unit.  The unit went completely dead when thermal fuse tripped which is located above the cavity on the left side.

Magic chef microwave shuts down

We had the same problem with our brand new Magic Chef. Before going through the trouble of taking it back I called Home Depot. After talking to a Home Depot Rep I am told that the overheat sensor is under the glass plate directly beneath the popcorn bag. Popcorn gets very hot and the heat of the popcorn causes the sensor to shut the machine down. I would imagine this would be the same for a baked potato.
Very poor design.
I was told to put a microwave safe plate down and put the popcorn bag on it. This should help to reduce the heat and not trip the sensor.
A safety sensor is great, but not if it keeps tripping the machine and shutting down!
Not finding what you are looking for?

Open Questions:


Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts


Level 3 Expert

85240 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6528 Answers

john h

Level 3 Expert

27936 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides