Our microwave works fine, but while I was cleaning the outside recently, I noticed one side (the hinge side) of the microwave has a little space between the door and body of the microwave. It's not huge, but I can slide a piece of paper into the cooking area of the microwave. Is this microwave safe? Thanks.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
For the KitchenAid microwave, model:
I found that i did not have to remove the screw. what i did was loosen the screw as much as it would go before getting tight again.(hard to screw) then on the bottom end of the door hinge (lying on its side) i pryed the bottom hinge off its mount. (with flat head screwdriver) from there i was able to get at the screws to separate the black surrounding stuff from the outside door... then finally i could get inside to get at the door panel controls. I noticed a whole bunch of condensation and on the back of the touch panel (electrical board).. i will replace that part as I think that is the culprit as to why the keys get pressed randomly, beeping randomly and wonkiness :)
I typically find it is not door hinge issues but door switch issues, especially with sharp. You may heve a little movenent in the door hinge and that is allowing the door hook to move up and down on the plunger for a door switch that is probably a bit melted due to bad connections. If you check the door switches and look for any browning around the terminals where the wires push onto the switch you will probably find an overheated connectoion. Replace the bad switch and run better wires and better termninals to the new switch and it will probably be fine.
There must be a gap between the door frame and the oven cavity for ventilation and mechanical reasons. The gap will need to be more than 3/8" to allow any appreciable amount of leakage through. I am sure it is less than that. If you are concerned, a leakage test would be the answer, from a registered and approved microwave repair centre that is Panasonic recognised. The door can be made to fit closer by adjusting the door catch inside the body of the microwave. Just slacken the fixing screws and hold the door closed, tighten the catch holder and there you have it. A snug fit. Hope this helps.
You should notice 3 plastic tabs on top
an3 3 on bottom, and 2 on each side. You will need to carefully work
the metal out of those tabs until it seperates. It is a whole lot
easier if you remove the door from the oven first. Take off the grille
above the door, it is held in by 2 screws up top, then just lift the
door off the hinge.
You need the "Some Other Solution". Do Not mess with the MW Door Hinges! They have been set by the factory to safety requirement to prevent MW Radiation Leakage. Altering Door Hinge could place you and your Family in harm.
In many cases, microwave door panels are held together by hidden hooks or catches that ave to be separated by a thin, strong tool such as a putty knife.
I've attached a photo that should serve as a good example.
You can visit http://www3.sears.com/ (the 3 is correct)
You will need to enter your full model number (not just 61709) and you can see expolded view diagrams which can be very helpful.
Chances are the panels separate as shown in the photo I have attached below.
Panel replacement can usually be done without removing the door from the microwave.
In cases where it is felt that door removal is necessary, I recommend detaching the door from the hinges.
I generally do not advise removing the hinges from the microwave.
Whenever the hinges are removed, great care must be taken to put them back in the very same position they were in.
Failure to do so can cause microwave leakage, which can cause risk of skin burns, fire, and disruption nearby electronic devices.