Question about Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC 82VH402
Water doesn't last very long
Posted by Anonymous on
SOURCE: Rheem 49 gal model 81V400B
Ordinary tank-type electric water heaters are fully repairable by homeowner.
A) Basic info on Rheem
Rheem electric water heater website:
Find age of Rheem: look 2nd and 3rd digit of serial number, for example 06 is 2006
B) Water heater has some hot water.
That says certain things: upper element is working, water heater electricity is working, reset button is not tripped, and heater is not experiencing run-away overheating event.
C) That leaves 4 suspects that cause lower amount of hot water.
1) TP valve is running hot water out of tank -or- leaking faucet is running hot water out of tank.
Check for leaks
2) Lower element is burned out.
Test lower element using inexpensive multi-meter from Home Depot.
Replace element with same wattage shown on label, and clean out sediment:
2) Upper or lower thermostat is bad.
Replace both thermostats for about $25.
3) Burned or shorted wire located between upper and lower sections of tank.
Turn off power. Open covers on side of tank. Remove insulation. Inspect parts for signs of high heat and burning. Especially check lower element. Tighten any loose wires. Replace part that shows signs of burning.
Put insulation and cover back over thermostats so cooler outside temperature doesn't cause thermostat to misread tank temperature.
Add a comment for more free help.
Also take advantage of fixya phone service.
For a price, expert speaks with you over phone while you work on water heater or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.
Posted on Feb 12, 2011
Open following link for full troubleshoot
Other water heater tips and tricks:
Posted on Mar 09, 2011
1) I bet the water heater has hot water, but hot does not arrive at tap because of bad faucet cartridge or bad recirculation system check valve
2) When cold water arrives at tap, go check if water heater has hot water. Then do the crossover test. Then add comment and say what you discover
3) Electric water heaters can be repaired by homeowner using generic off-the-shelf parts from local hardware store.
If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gene_9f0ef4df2f9897e7
Posted on Feb 19, 2013
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 06, 2013 | Water Heaters
Nov 25, 2012 | Water Heaters
Sep 08, 2012 | Water Heaters
Sep 06, 2012 | Rheem Water Heaters
Aug 14, 2011 | Bosch AquaStar 2400ES-NG
Jul 04, 2011 | Rheem Tankless Hot Water Heater...
May 30, 2011 | Water Heaters
May 14, 2011 | General Electric GE SmartWater Household...
Aug 15, 2010 | Reliance & 50gal Electric Water Heater
Aug 27, 2008 | Stiebel Eltron TEMPRA 12 Tankless Water...
Mar 05, 2013 | Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...
614 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: