Ugh. Nevermind. I knew as soon as I posted this, I'd figure it out! Since I've been seeing this same question floating around in search engines, might as well post it, I guess. Who knows, maybe save someone a headache.
- Install the Nikon drivers from the yellow disc labeled Picture Project:
Choose "custom installation", uncheck everything except the very top box labeled "driver." (Despite what Nikon's booklet says, Picture Project DOES NOT have to be installed to make the camera work). After they are installed, you will be prompted to restart your computer.
- After restart, hook the camera to the computer via the USB cable and turn the camera on. Windows will now detect a new device and launch the add new hardware wizard. Select "display a list of all drivers" and click next.
- Now check "show all hardware" at the bottom of the window, and select the category "hard disc controllers" from the left-hand menu.
- Scroll down this menu until you find "Nikon Corporation." Now in the right window you will see "Nikon Digital camera Controller." Click next.
- The drivers should install with no problems and no more work to do. Your camera is now compatible with Windows 98! If installed correctly, the window should look like this:
- If you go to My Computer, there will be a new icon labeled "Removable Disc." Click on it, and you'll notice all your photos are stored here in a folder labeled NIKON100. Notes:
I'm not sure, but this setup should work for the following Nikon models listed on the official site as well:
COOLPIX 2000 / 2100 / 2200 /
2500 / 3100 / 3200 / 3500 / 3700 / 4100 / 4200 / 4300 / 4500 / 4600 /
4800 / 5000 / 5200 / 5400 / 5600 / 5700 / 5900 / 775 / 7600 / 7900 /
8400 / 8700 / 8800 / 885 / 995 / L1 / L101 / L2 / L3 / L4 / L5 / L6
/L10 / L11 / L12 / L14/ L15 / P1 / P2 / P3 / P4 / P50 / P5000 / P5100 /
S1 / S2 / S3 / S4 / S5 / S6 / S7c / S9 / S10 / S50 / S50c / S51 / S51c
/S200 / S500 / S510/ S700 /SQD1 / D1H / D1X / D100 / D2H / D2Hs / D2X / D2Xs / D200 / D40 / D40x / D50 / D70 / D70s / D80
If you don't have the Picture Project disc, you can download the same drivers from the European website (the link in the above post). The correct driver for the Coolpix is located in Drivers > Clpx > EN > Setup.exe (for English setup).
Before attaching the camera, be sure it's set to Mass Storage.
(Menu > Set Up > Interface> USB) There should be a V-shaped checkmark next to the Mass Storage option.