Question about Whirlpool MT1110SKQ 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
It began making a loud humming noise (louder than normal) Seems to operate fine, but is not heating. Is it dead??
Almost certainly, the component called the "magnetron" has died. This is the valve (tube in the US) which actually generates the microwaves. The loud humming is the transformer that supplies the magnetron being overloaded and/or the magnetron itself. If the rest of the appliance is OK and not too old, the magnetron can be replaced. If you aren't familiar with these appliances, you *must* get this done by someone who understands the dangers of messing with them - if you get it wrong, they can bite! In some countries, only qualified engineers can buy the spare parts. In the UK, the part costs around £40 - £80, depending on the model. If the appliance is more than around three years old, it may be a false economy to repair it as other parts may fail soon after the repair.
Posted on Sep 24, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 03, 2016 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Jan 13, 2011 | Tappan TMT104E1 Microwave Oven
Jan 20, 2010 | GE JVM2070 Microwave Oven
Dec 23, 2009 | Sharp R-630D Microwave Oven
Sep 30, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jun 08, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 03, 2009 | Amana Radarange Microwave Oven
Nov 09, 2019 | GE Microwave Ovens
367 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: