Question about Cuisinart CBT-500 SmartPower Premier Work Top Blender
How do you replace the blade driver clutch on a Cuisinart CBT-500
I had this same problem. It was solved but let me tell you it was a nightmare and we were almost sure the blender would be destroyed at least 3 times during the ordeal.
Here's a hint: the thread is on opposite to a normal screw thread so that it gets tighter as the blender spins.
1. Take the base off the blender and pop out the motor.
2. Turn over the motor and remove the round rubber part at the bottom. You will see a flathead screw. This is where you grip the shaft that the cursed brass coupler thread is attached to.
3. Find someone else to help and also a large strong flathead screwdriver.
4. With a friend holding a screwdriver in place at the bottom, grip the top brass thread with pliers (or better yet a pipe wrench) and twist it the opposite way you normally would.
5. Become extremely frustrated by the fact that the screw thread is made of cheap metal and strips instantly and that the brass thread is also cheaply made and rips right through your pliers / wrench.
6. Find a hack saw and a hammer.
7. Cut the brass thread off with the hack saw. Hammer the stubborn remaining pieces of it off with a screwdriver. Be prepared to cut off half of the shaft.
8. Eventually you should have hammered / sawed the brass thread off. If the shaft and motor are still intact, you can now screw the new coupler on (remember - its backwards). We had only about half of the shaft thread left and it still worked ok. Make sure to do this after you put the motor back in place with the shaft poking through the top of the case. Don't worry too much about how tight it is. As I mentioned its on backwards to tighten the coupler during normal use.
9. Replace the casing and screws, don't forget that rubber thing at the bottom.
10. Curse Cuisinart and make a drink, you deserve it.
Posted on May 13, 2008
I had a similar problem with an older (CB-4) model. The motor shaft and anchor just spun while the rubber disk jumped around. I alternately added super glue and epoxy until the disk rotated with the shaft and the gap was filled. That part has been fine since. I also had the body of the blade assembly crack down the side; this happened a second time after I replaced it. I super glued the second one , re-pressed the brass sleeve and replaced the spacer on the (upper) rubber disk, but it's too early to know how long this fix will hold. Three failures in 12 years is tolerable, but it's not a great record and this thing feels and sounds like a piece of ****; it's a good thing I got it on sale for $50. Next time, I'll get a Hamilton Beach or Oster.
Posted on Sep 18, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: