I own the Whirlpool duet set with the front loading washer. The clothes comeout with a bad smell. I was told that the washer probably needed to be cleaned. How is this done, and what makes it happen?
Using the wrong kind of detergent in your fancy front loader is a great way to grunge up your washer and impart some oder onto your clothes. And it accelerates the mechanical deterioration of your washer.
2. Using too much fabric softener and/or detergent.
Liquid fabric softener does not break down very well in cold water and the residue collects on the outer tub and basket along with the lint left from the wash. We professionals refer to this accumulated as grunge. Once formed, this grunge collects ever more additional soap, dirt, grease, human waste, mites, , parasites... and then some really bad stuff.
As it turns out, this grunge makes a perfect substrate for microbial life forms. Over some time- not very much time in warmer climates- those little bacterial colonies build up lots of microbial sewage, just like we do until one day you open the door to the washer
Using too much fabric softener will waterproof your clothes. How clean do you think your clothes will get if they repel water inside the washing machine?
3. Doing all your wash loads in cold water only.
Detergents don't dissolve as well in cold water. As a result, cold water washes leave behind more grunge. So... do an occasional wash in hot water. OK, maybe more than occasional. Like, I hope you at least wash your skivvies in hot water.
4. Leaving clothes in the washer at the end of the cycle.
Front loaders don't have as much access to open air as top load machines. Consequently, leaving clothes in the washer for more than eight hours will increase mold and mildew build up.
1. Add one additional gallon of hot water to the unit before sending it into a hot wash. This will raise the water level high enough to remove the Grunge Hiding Behind the Basket
2. Same as 1 but with bleach added to all dispensers. Clean the fabric softener cup with a rag first (bleach will not break up fabric softener since it is introduced in the rinse cycle with the fabric softener).
3. Same as1 and 2 but with a cap full of pine cleaner added to the wash water (NOT the dispenser). Add some old rags (they don`t need to be dirty) and select the extra rinse cycle. The wash action will help remove the accumulated grunge from the components
Once again, make sure you're only using high efficiency (HE) detergents in your front loader.
Nov 03, 2010 |
Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer