Question about HP Photosmart C5180 All-In-One InkJet Printer
In most cases when the HP02 cartridge is not recognized, or has poor connectivity, you will normally receive an "Unrecognized Cartridge" or "Cartridge Problem" error message with a big RED X; in most cases (like 99.3%) the smart chip needs to be replaced with a new one - please note the chip life has 25 month expiration window from the time the HP02 (or 363 in the UK) cartridge is initially installed into the printer. Click here for more information when using refilled ink cartridges or general printing problems using any HP02 ink cartridge: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1372
However, if you also observe an INK SYSTEM FAILURE message then the permanent PRINTHEAD may be electrically damaged (unfortunately it is not replaceable; you can verify this by performing the following):
To bypass INK SYSTEM FAILURE message please see the HP Printer Diagnostics Tests file (pdf) for instructions: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1813
Verify the permanent built-in PRINTHEADs electrical performance inside this legacy printer model by running the TAP 43 diagnostic test (either one of the procedures below applies to all printers which use HP02 or HP363 ink cartridges): For additional HP02 support information, please visit our HP02 system support page which includes videos of everything mentioned below: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1372
A.HP02 ink-series printers with KEYPAD (i.e. keypad numbers 1-9)
Tap 43 PRINTHEAD Health Diagnostics:
Video Procedure: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2391
1.Press * and # keys simultaneously.
2. "Enter Special Key Combo" will be displayed.
3.Press 123 to display the 'Support/Service' menu.
4.At 'Support/Service' menu, click the Right Arrow 3 times until Special Reports menu is displayed.
5.Select Ok, then click Right Arrow 2 times until the 'print-mech button tap' menu is displayed.
6.Select Ok ('code = 0' will be displayed); click and hold Right Arrow until 'code = 43' is displayed. Use the Left Arrow if you need to decrease numerical count.
7.Select Ok. The test page prints.
8.Check the 4th line at the top of the printed report; an electrically good/stable PRINTHEAD 'Pen Status' will state "Pen Status: Pen OK".........if any other message is displayed then the PRINTHEAD may have failed and may need to be replaced (if part is still available). It is suggested to perform the 'Printer Reset' procedure below to first rule out printer firmware related problem.
B.HP02 ink-series printer models that DO NOT HAVE a KEYPAD:
Internal Test Print:
1. Press the Menu button, press the Right Arrow button to select 'Tools', and then press 'OK'.
2. Press the Right Arrow button several times to select 'Print Test Page', and then press 'OK'. The test page prints.
Tap 43 PRINTHEAD Health Diagnostics - See Video Procedure: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2377
1. Turn ON the printer.
2. Press and Hold the "Print Photos" & "Red Eye Removal" buttons.
3. Release both buttons.
4. You will see a new screen that says, "Enter Special Key Combo"... The Key combo is: press and release in sequence the "Red Eye Removal", "Print Photos", and then "Red Eye Removal"
5. Scroll through the menu by pressing the right arrow button until the display says 'Special Reports'.
6. Select Ok, then press the arrow button until the 'print-mech button tap' menu is displayed.
7. Select Ok ('code = 0' will be displayed); click and hold Right Arrow until 'code = 43' is displayed.
8. Select Ok. The test page prints.
9. Check the 4th line at the top of the printed report; an electrically good/stable PRINTHEAD 'Pen Status' will state "Pen Status: Pen OK".........if any other message is displayed then the PRINTHEAD may have failed (unfortunately the PRINTHEAD is not replaceable). It is suggested to perform the 'Printer Reset' procedure below to first rule out printer firmware related problem.
NOTE: Costco USA/Canada, Fry's Electronic's, Microelectronics (along with some Best Buy stores in Canada) provide a top-notch refilling/chip re-programming service today...check it out:
For additional and advanced HP printer diagnostics, please visit: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1813
To help solve other HP02 ink-series printer/printing related issues please visit http://www.inkjet411.com
Posted on Dec 04, 2013
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 23, 2016 | Epson Stylus Nx305 Clr Inkjet P/S/C/F Fb...
Jan 01, 2018 | Canon PIXMA Office Equipment & Supplies
Mar 25, 2010 | Epson Stylus NX400 InkJet Printer
Aug 05, 2009 | Epson Stylus 1400 InkJet Photo Printer
May 23, 2009 | Kodak ESP 5 Printer
May 05, 2009 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Feb 03, 2009 | Dell 924 All-in-One InkJet Printer
Dec 05, 2008 | Konica Minolta magicolor 5430 DL Laser...
May 19, 2014 | HP Photosmart C5180 All-In-One InkJet...
73 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!