Question about NetGear RangeMax WPN824 Router
I have had my net gear rangemax for the better part of a year now, and for some reason the net has started to drop out regularly. Resetting the router alleviates the problem, but it happens again in about half an hour. Oddly enough, as far as I can tell it only affects the HTTP protocol as MSN messenger is not effected at all, but I am unable to browse the web. All connections are secure, I've tried adjusting the idle time out to no avail and I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Hi, From initial/apparent indications, it would appear that something was changed in your netgear configuration that affected your internet connection. This would appear likewise to be reinforced that by resetting the router, your back to normal internet connection (though for 'bout 30 mins) and then you'll get disconnected again. Though am not discounting the router error, why don't we try a process of elimination to zero in on the problem. Client side: 1. The usual checks, virus scan? ad scan? any update/upgrade/change of your browser? 2. In your Internet Options/Advanced, try checking Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections and in your Connection/LAN Settings, check automatically detect settings; 3. Have you tried Networking Repair, Release, Renew? 4. Does the dropout happen both to wired and wireless clients? 5. Can you try assigning fixed IP add to your client PCs (both wired/wireless) starting from 192.168.0.2 then + 1 to all others thereafter, Subnet Mask is fixed at 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway at 192.168.0.1 (or whatever it is that you have set the NetGear IP add to be), DNS what ever is being used by your ISP. On the router side: a. Was there any firmware update recently? b. Try without any security (WEP, WPA, MAC filter) just to be able to determine if it is related; c. If possible, set router WAN's DNS also to fixed and not auto obtain; Give your provider a call, the problem might be with them. To cite an example, we have 3 local ISPs. One of them has this problem that on certain times of the day, their client would appear to be connected but can not open any site. What I did was to enter the DNS numbers of all 3 providers to the client's PCs though the client is only connected to 1 provider. No more dropout. Am not saying this will work for you merely to give you an idea. Hope this be of some help to you. Post back how things turn up or should you need further information. Good luck and kind regards.
Posted on Sep 15, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!