Question about Polk Audio CSi40 Center Speaker

2 Answers

Subwoofer I have a Pioneer 5.1 receiver with an RCA female plugin for the output to the subwoofer. The subwoofer input does not have a female RCA connector. The subwoofer input has a L & R/red and black speaker wire input. How do I connect the subwoofer?

Posted by rjhmlh on

  • 4 more comments 
  • Jackey Nov 08, 2007

    My problem is the same.

    I have a Kenwood subwoofer SW-15HT-W with the same L & R speaker wire input.

    I thought I can just buy a connecting cable to resolve the problem but I was wrong.

    How do you connect the monoblock amplifier as suggested in your solution?.

  • slavoie Jan 08, 2008

    I have a 7.1 Home theater system receiver and my SW (sub woofer) needs RCA wires but my Nutone MS-418 needs speaker wires so can I used RCA cable and cut them on one side to be plug into my MS-418 sub woofer?

  • BIKERMANKJ Jul 30, 2008


  • ecatral Aug 23, 2008

    I have a Technics SB C22 speaker syst. & 2 speakers. I don't know where to connect the sub woofer. The syst is suppose to be a suround sound for my TV. I bought them in garage sale.

    Can you help, Pls.

  • Anonymous Oct 28, 2008

    the cables don't match up with input jach on my tv or satalite reciever

  • rhenier Oct 30, 2008

    how can connect my subwoofer sa-wm250 to my receiver



2 Answers


  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I have a bad female R.C.A. input will not keep a connection. It does work if you jiggle it.

Posted on Nov 08, 2008



  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert who has posted more than 50 answers, of which 90% or more were rated as helpful.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 58 Answers

Most AV receivers do not have a built in amplifier block to drive a subwoofer, and merely provide the subwoofer output channel at line voltage. Thus, a powered subwoofer is required. Does the subwoofer require mains power? From your description, I'm guessing it doesn't. If not, it does not have a buit in amplifier, you will need to purchase a monoblock amplifier, which is just a mono amplifier with a volume control, no tone controls or anything else. Make sure that the amplifier power rating is as close as possible to the subwoofer power rating, as it is quite possible to blow a speaker by using an amplifier whose power output is too low, by overdriving the amplifier , and putting DC through the voice coil when the amplifier clips. If it does require mains power, it will have an amplifier built in, but does not have line level inputs.

Posted on Sep 14, 2007


Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to install KLH asw10-20 to a 7.2 receiver

Yes, the 10-120 can use a L & R low level subwoofer input. You can get a short 6" RCA splitter adapter from Radio Shack for a under $10. (1 female input, 2 male outputs) Alternately, just plug the subwoofer output on your receiver to just the low level R channel on the KLH sub.

Jan 20, 2015 | KLH Audio Players & Recorders

5 Answers

Broken connector in subwoofer connection on receiver

The only thing you do is to open your receivers,then locate the output connector if you see the female RCA jack ,then push it out the broken piece ,that's it

Jul 27, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

How to hook up emerson subwoofer sw 03

For powered sub :If your receiver has a sub woofer output on female RCA plug, that is the way to go. If no output you will have to get a speaker line to line output converter to then connect to your subwoofer amp input.

Unpowered sub - just hook up across the speaker terminals for each channel making sure that you hook it up in phase.

Mar 14, 2014 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer


You need a long enough subwoofer cable ( Male connectors on each end ) and connect it to the female RCA input on the sub and the rear of your receiver has an output labeled subwoofer out connect the other end of the cable there and you are good to go. Make sure both the receiver and the subwoofer are powered off when making the connections.

Feb 15, 2012 | Yamaha Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

I have a velodyne VA 806 subwoofer which I would like to connect to my AV receiver Denon AVR 391. In my receiver, I have a subwoofer out female connector (one) and where do I connect this line to the...

Get an RCA Y-adapter to feed both INputs on the sub. Define the sub in the Denon and set your other speaker settings as required to redirect the bass/LFE if they can't handle it.

Dec 23, 2010 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

How do i hook my ipod up to play thru this receiver?

Since your receiver does not have a USB input, you will have to use the RCA auxiliary front inputs, and select fake surround to listen to it through all 6 speakers. Use the headphone output from the IPOD. You will need to buy a miniplug/miniplug cable and a adapter with a female miniplug and male RCA connectors, unless you are lucky enough to find a cable with a male miniplug on one end, and a male RCA on the other.

May 15, 2010 | Pioneer VSX-D411 Receiver

2 Answers

Old receiver, new subwoofer- how to connect?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Never connect speaker outputs to anything that looks different, like RCA connections. Can you say crispy critter?

Your receiver sounds like it won't send specific Subwoofer of Low Frequency Effects information to the Sub so we're cheating by adding a sub. If you named the model of each we may have a better shot at naming the output you need to use.

I'm curious. How did you have the old passive sub working?

Basically what you may have to do is feed (probable) full range audio to the Sub using an RCA splitter to combine the L and R outputs found, oh, at any Tape Output that you're not using. The Sub will only reproduce what it can. The presence of higher frequencies won't bother it. If it has its own volume control you'll be able to balance its volume with the rest of your speakers.

Mar 18, 2010 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

2 RCA's coming from amp into radio's single subwoofer output RCA?

You can either hook up the left channel only or buy a splitter that separates one input into two outputs.

Oct 03, 2009 | Pioneer DEH-P690UB CD Player

2 Answers

Connect powered subwoofer

  • If your receiver has a dedicated subwoofer line level output, we recommend connecting your subwoofer to this jack. Most receivers will have just one (mono) subwoofer output, while quite a few subs require two inputs. You can use an RCA "Y" adapter cord , which is a cable with one female RCA jack at one end, and two male RCA plugs at the other. Some receivers require menu settings (such as "sub-on" or "front speakers-small") that must be made before the sub output will be active.

  • Nov 22, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders

    2 Answers

    Subwoofer connection

    if this is ao powered sub, that plugs into the wall, there should be no problems, if it is powered solely by the reciever it may work fine but be sure you dont exceed amperage on the subwoofer.

    Jan 28, 2008 | Bose 151SE Main / Stereo Speaker

    Not finding what you are looking for?
    Polk Audio CSi40 Center Speaker Logo

    545 people viewed this question

    Ask a Question

    Usually answered in minutes!

    Top Polk Audio Audio Players & Recorders Experts


    Level 3 Expert

    5700 Answers

    The Knight
    The Knight

    Level 3 Expert

    76416 Answers

    Michel Laprise Sr

    Level 2 Expert

    339 Answers

    Are you a Polk Audio Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

    Answer questions

    Manuals & User Guides