Question about Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave made loud popping sound and now does not heat.

I was using my Kenmore above the stove microwave and it made a loud pop, sounded like a gunshot. Now everything seems to be working the same, except it does not heat. Do I need to just replace it?

Posted by adrienne899 on

Ad

1 Answer

Anonymous

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that has over 500 points.

  • Expert
  • 187 Answers

Hey,
Try this
Probably a high voltage diode popped because contaminated grease eventually built up and made a path for a high voltsge arc to occur.. To confirm,take the outer cover off the microwave and discharge the high voltage capacitor by shorting its terminals. Then pull the plug off the magnetron side and place it near the magnetron socket. Now turn the microwave on and push the connector on the magnetron with a chopstick or a long insulated screwdriver. If no arc when you do this this confirms a bad diode.



please rate my suggestion..

Posted on Apr 13, 2009

Ad

Add Your Answer

×

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1helpful
1answer

Is it time to replace the microwave if it makes a loud vibrating sound followed by a pop which is followed by the sound of broken glass?

Yes it is time to replace it, the magnetron has failed and there are two more parts of concern, the high voltage capacitor and diode are also a factor. The high voltage capacitor and diode work with the magnetron to produce the high voltage that heats the food. The vibrating sound is further evidence the magnetron is culprit.
0helpful
1answer

Yesterday while using the stove top to cook some chili the lights under the microwave blew out with a loud "pop". It tripped the breaker switch so I reset it and everything works like it should except the...

Well I'm reaching here---if the bulb did not fracture/break then it sounds like a capacitor popped--check your owners manual for reset button but I don't think there is one for the lighting---In addition if you can see the circuit board--look for burn spot or wet spot. GL
5helpful
2answers

Microwave popped and now does not heat

Okay, first we need to separate the situations. You were boiling water on the stove and had the range hood fan running to **** up the steam. Then you put something in the microwave to heat and you heard a pop and then zip-o.

The water on the stove has nothing to do with the situation, the fan you turn on is not part of the microwave, so it has nothing to do with the microwave.

The pop you heard and then the humming suggests the magnetron failed. You said you found a blow fuse and replaced it and still nothing, right? The magnetron is the most likely culprit...I would think it is safe to say that the magnetron shorted and drew enough current to blow the fuse.

Replace the magnetron and if that doesn't work, let me know here. Good Luck!
2helpful
1answer

My goldstar above the stove microwave popped and now won't heat. Everything else on the unit still works. Is this a problem that can be repaired? Thanks.

Did it make a loud pop like a firecracker?
Sounds like the High Voltage Diode shorted out and it probably is making a low or loud growling noise now..... ???
0helpful
1answer

Lost heat on microwave ,everything else works fine simple fix?

Inexpensive fix yes, but quite dangerous as you have to either replace the High voltage Diode or the magnetron depending on what has gone. Most often it is the Diode as that is fed a few thousand volts and anomolies such as a surge in current cause it to blow(popping sound) You can also check the fuses and if lucky it is just a fuse, but a fuse very seldomly just blows as it points to an underlying fault such as magnetron , capacitor or Diode. Have a service man attend to it unless you know what you are doing as you are dealing with lethal voltages and current even after the microwave has been switched off.
10helpful
1answer

Loud pop and microwave doesn't heat anymore

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker model JVM3670WF001, purchased I think in 2003. Pop sound, no Heat. Light goes on, carousel goes around,
Repair or new microwave
1helpful
1answer

Kenmore over the stove microwave will not heat 1996

YOUR MAGNETRON IS MOST LIKELY BAD. THIS IS THE UNIT THAT CREATES THE MICROWAVES.
2helpful
2answers

Microwave made a loud pop,won't heat,sounds like it's only on half power, makes a low intermittent hum

This is almost certainly a blown high voltage diode.

Please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you.
Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven Logo

7,823 views

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

Michael Thomas
Michael Thomas

Level 3 Expert

3056 Answers

Gerry Harvey
Gerry Harvey

Level 3 Expert

1482 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6370 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...