One day I smelled smoke coming from the AC outlet. I have a extention cord coming from the unit into the AC outlet because it isn't long enough. I immediately move the plug to another outlet. Now the AC runs for about 10 minutes than breaks the circuit breaker. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Air conditioner constantly shuts off
Are you saying that you have plugged the aircon into an extension lead then into a socket in the wall and that the smoke was coming from the extension lead part. If so I would suggest checking all your plug in connections and chenge the extension lead. A quick way to check the compressor is a cause is to put the aircon to fan only and see if it fails to trip out the circuit breaker, then put it back onto cooling and see if it trips (if it does on cooling then its a good possibility). Most aircons have a three to five minute time delay for starting the compressor to protect against power fluctuations (ie power cuts). Hope this s of some help.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
water coming out of an a/c is normal .its water outlet hose is wrongly installed or not installed at all.get it installed.also level the indoor unit towards the water outlet side when u install the hose .
The beeping might be an alarm that indicates the coils are iced over by
too much humidity in the air...and/or the unit is overheating etc.
shut off power to the unit for a few hours, go out somewhere if it is
too stuffy inside.. see if the unit operates better when you return...
I also suggest not running these things constantly, this causes some
units to ice up and **** up the power..
hope the unit does get replaced, newer ones are more efficient.
First of all, an extension cord and GFI receptacle to run an AC unit will almost always blow either GFI or circuit breaker or both due to large current draw from AC unit. If an extension cord needs to be used, keep it as short as possible, and use the heavier gauge that is approved for AC use. What happens when you use an extension cord, is the voltage drop that will happen by the time the AC gets power. With any voltage drop, the amperage draw increases, so a 15 amp circuit breaker will most likely trip. Nowadays, all AC units are wired with a minimum 12 gauge wire rated for 20 amps. You say nothing is happening now, is that to say that the fan only mode doesn't work on the AC unit either?