Getting error U043 "The following ink tank cannot be recognized. I have the correct tank. Pixma 520 ...tank # 5 PGBK
The little chips on the front of the cartridge create a trouble for people trying to refill the cartridge, as of right now, there is no way to easily reset the chips. If you refill them, they still register as empty, and therefore don't work.
If the following tips doesn’t help, you can try to install the original new ink cartridge following the instructions in the user manual. This can solve the problem.
Be sure to install the ink tanks in the correct order indicated by the label on the Print Head Holder. The machine will not print if an ink tank is installed in the incorrect position.
For information on the compatible ink tanks, refer to the back cover of the Quick Start Guide.
Tips before Replacing Ink Tanks :
- To maintain optimal printing quality, we recommend the use of specified Canon brand ink tanks.
Refilling ink is not recommended.
- Once you remove an ink tank, replace it immediately. Do not leave the machine with ink tanks removed.
- Replace empty tanks with new ones. Inserting partially used ink tanks may cause the nozzles to clog. Furthermore, with such tanks, the machine will not be able to inform you when to replace the tanks properly.
- Once an ink tank has been installed, do not remove it from the machine and leave it out in the open. This will cause the ink tank to dry out, and the machine may not operate properly when it is reinstalled. To maintain optimal printing quality, use an ink tank within six months of first use.
- Color ink may be consumed even when printing a black-and-white document or when black-and-white printing is specified.
Color ink is also consumed in Print Head Cleaning and Print Head Deep Cleaning, which may be necessary to maintain the machine's performance. When an ink tank is out of ink, replace it immediately with a new one.
After replacing ink tank;
Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply. After five minutes or more, plug the power cord of the machine back in, and then turn on the machine.
If you would like to vote for the answer, this will help the others to see the similar problems solved and also will be a satisfaction factor for me to continue helping you.
All the best.