My daughter ran the microwave (A space maker 2.0) last night without any food in it. (She thought she was setting the timer) Now our rather brand new microwave will not come on. We checked the house circuit breaker for the microwave. We even reset it. Currently I have diconnected power while I am searching for other possibilities. Any assistance will be so much appreciated.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: microwave won't come on
I am a recently retired appliance engineer of 20 years, i am reluctant to help with microwaves because of the dangers, the store electric even when unplugged, but it sound just like an internal fuse, these are special quick blow types, can be bought from most electronic high store shops, and replacements must be exact match, if a replacement blows there is another fault and don't recommend self repair
work with safety and remove the plug first etc
oh the fuse is just inside following the mains wire in, and normally on a small circuit board
if i have helped please rate me
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Magnetron is blown.
This high-energy microwave-transmitting device hides behind a small plate on side of oven.
The waveguide sticky-out part looks like a small tube.
Normally, water molecules absorb the energy, heating the food.
Without an absorbing 'load' inside the oven cavity, the high-frequency, high power energy bounces back into the magnetron and it destroys itself. (Magnetron Hari-Kiri).
In a nutshell, tech must renew magnetron.
Then iInstruct family members to never run it empty.
Without food for the microwaves to be absorbed by, the magnetron (heating device) would have most likely overheated. There is a thermal overload switch (safety device) that acts like a fuse and turns everything off if overheating occurs like that. You would need someone that could take the microwave down, disassemble and check to see if the 'fuse' is bad or the magnetron is bad, they can both be checked with an ohmmeter. If you need to hire someone to do this, it may cost you more than the cost of a new unit if the magnetron is the item that has failed.
Never run the microwave without a load (something to heat)!!! That kills the microwave generating parts.
Sounds like a 'thermal' protect switch is activating after running. Make sure that (if the unit is mounted in a cabinet) that there is sufficient space around the unit for proper air flow and that nothing is blocking the vents. Try setting it on a counter top and heat something. If it works properly and doesn't shut off, the venting space is the problem. You may have to have the cabinet that it sits in redesigned for more clearance.