Change the cartridge ...
but, in case E3
I have workaround for the empty tank issue:
- buy or borrow another not empty tank
- place it in
- start the printer
- it recognises the "new" tank
- turn off the printer
- put back the old, empty, but refilled tank
- turn on the printer
- print something
- it will pop up a dialogue window saying
"The ink level of the black/color tank cannot be
determined. The ink level determining function will be
disabled for the black/color tank.
If you want to continue printing without this function
press the Start button on the printer."
- Press the Start button on the printer and ignore the
button 'Cancel Printing' appearing on the dialogue window.
- The dialog window disappears.
You can print your refilled tank as many times you want from this time.
you go to 'Printers /Canon /Properties /Maintenance / Printer Status /
Ink Information' it says that the ink level measuring function has been
disabled for: black  / color. You can ignore this this message,
the printer will work perfectly without this stupid function.