I had this issue and I thought it was dirt or something underneath the button. I took the phone apart and found the problem. Turns out it was dust or built up dried condensation on the motherboard where the ribbon cable that connects the buttons. Look for the youtube video on how to take apart the phone and it's the connection on the bottom of the phone to the right. and just use some alcohol and q-tips to clean the connections.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: g1 phone menu button will not work!
Take the battery out of the phone with the power still on. Try to turn the phone back on to see if that takes care of the problem. If not, call your phone company to have them help you out. If you have T Mobile your lucky because they have a very good Tech team for issues like this. Hope i've helped you :)
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Please check your menu key and see if it is stuck. For your phone to boot into safe mode, the menu key needs to be held at power on, so if after turning it off and doing a factory reset you are still in safe mode, then your menu key stuck. I have heard of the g1 having issues with the menu key getting stuck and a replacement is needed. How old is your phone? Are you still under warranty with tmobile? Let me know if you have any other questions.
7. Now Return to main Screen and Press MENU Button this Will popup APN Button, Just Press it.
8. Go to APN Setting. There will be so many APN already Preset. Again Press MENU Button this will show NEW APN
Popup Button again Press.
9. Remember to put Right MCC (Mobile Country Code), and MNC Mobile Network Code, G1 Matches SIM card Data
of MCC / MNC with these Setting and then try to use that. Settings.
All World MCC / MNC codes is available here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_network_code
10. Now Switch off the Phone and Wait for Unlock codes.
11. Insert the Non T-Mobile SIM Card which you intend to use it with G1 and switch G1 on. (Your SIM must have
Data plan / GPRS Activated so G1 will able to contact google.com for Activation)
12. HTC G1 will ask for Unlock Codes. Type unlock code carefully, typing wrong code thrice may make Phone
13. Once Unlocked your GPRS / EDGE / 3G Data Service will be active as per APN Setting we did before.
14. Type Google User name / Password in Signing Window and this will Activate the Unlock G1 Device on your SIM
15. Make other remaining Data Setting like MMS / Home Page / Port to Active other Data Service
Interesting situation. Same thing started happening on my G1 today while I was in the 'WordUp' game. Menu button has become erratic (pops up randomly, not when clicked). Tried rebooting several times (with menu button depressed). Does not seem to help. Widgets don't load and my non Google apps don't show in the menu, but the shortcuts on my homescreen work fine.
Still tinkering with it. Will post if I can fix this. Any ideas are welcome.
I solved this problem by booting into SAFE MODE on the G1:
Press Menu Button and Switch on the G1 Phone using Power button. (Do not release menu Key).
That Got it to turn on. but upon power down it did the same thing with blue light. So I always start in SAFE MODE. I will start uninstalling programs until i find out which one is causing problem.
I just had the same problem. I had turned on my phone in the usual way and once it loaded I noticed it was in safe mode. This was not something I had told the phone to do. 1st I unplugged the phone from the charger. 2nd I removed the back cover and the battery. 3rd I held down the power key for 15 seconds. 4th I reinstalled the battery and back cover. And finally I turned the phone back on. NOTE: my phone started up and then restarted itself as soon as it was done loading. Now everything appears to be working correctly and efficiently.
Power the device off, while it is off press and hold the Menu button and the Red Power Button at the same time, when the phones boots back up the Safe Mode should be off. If this does not work a Master Reset may be required.