The laptop works perfectly when not plugged into an electrical outlet, but anytime you plug in the power supply, it will work for a little while then randomly turn off. Is this a known problem with the Compaq R4010US?
It sounds to me like you have a problem or a "short" somewhere with the D\C Socket. I say this because it runs fine with battery? The machine needs to be stripped and repaired. Possibly just a resolder from a dry joint or a new D/C Socket. Its a very common laptop fault. If you have difficulty Try these guys www.laptoprepairspecialists.co.uk
Check the power settings for the device. It has different settings for when it's running on batteries and when it's running off mains.
Right click on Windows desktop, select "Properties". You will be faced with a dialog called display properties. At the top are some Tabs, select "Screen Saver". At the bottom to the right will be a button reading "Power", click on it. There you will see the options for power settings. Check at the bottom of the options where there is "System Standby" and "System Hibernates". This may solve your problem. Please provide feedback if it doesn't.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
you can use the unit without the battery. Remove the battery, plug in the charger/power supply and turn on the unit and wait for the result. if the problem persist?..... maybe the fault is in CPU fan. check the fan...overheating the processor. Cleaning the heat sync and reapplying silicon compound on CPU's can cure the problem.
Check your computer's power cable and the power cables to any devices connected to the computer. Make sure all cables are firmly plugged into electrical outlets and into the computer and other devices. If you have an extra power cable for your computer, swap it in to see if your computer's power cable is the problem. Remove your computer's battery, if it is a laptop, and connect the computer to a electrical outlet to see if it will start up. Sometimes a discharged battery will prevent a laptop from powering up. If your laptop still won't power up, remove the power cable, replace the battery and try to run the computer off battery power. Unplug your computer and plug a lamp or radio into the same electrical outlet and see if that device works. If the lamp or radio doesn't work, the outlet is the problem. Unplug your computer and open your computer's case, if it is a desktop system. Look for loose cables, cards and connections and attach them firmly. Blow out any dust with a can of compressed air. Also, check your computer's memory chips to make sure they are all plugged in and seated properly. Close the case once you are done and plug in the computer. Disconnect any USB devices connected to your computer and try to power up the system. Sometimes a USB device not connected properly will stop a computer system from powering on. Disconnect any new devices recently added to your system. Sometimes new devices will conflict with other hardware within your computer and cause an overload on your computer's power supply. Disconnect any other devices connected to your computer such as the keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer or scanner and plug your computer into a electrical outlet by itself. Check to see if the computer works. If does work, shut it down and connect just one device, such as the monitor. Turn on the computer and monitor and see if everything works. Continue connecting devices until you find the one that is stopping your entire system from powering up. Hope it helps.
Not intended to offend; 1. If using A/C (house electrical power), please check if electrical wall outlet is active. Attempt to plug-in another electrical device such as a lamp, clock, radio, etc.. If the electrical wall outlet has top and bottom plugs, try the top and then the bottom plug to see which one works. Sometimes, the top outlet will not work, yet the bottom outlet does work. The wall outlet should be replaced by qualified technician. 2. If both outlets do NOT work, and the outlet is GFCI breaker protected, maybe pressing the RESET switch on the outlet will power-up the outlet. 3. If the outlet is NOT GFCI breaker protected, check your electrical fuse box for a tripped fuse. Sometimes, a tripped fuse is NOT visible. May have to trip the specific fuse or all fuses to off, then back on. Recheck the wall outlet. 4. Once your know the outlet is live, check the power cord (a/c adapter for laptops) to make sure they are securely plugged-in to both the wall outlet AND the PC or Laptop.
Will need more information once the above steps are taken:
Is it a Desktop or Laptop? Make and Model (if known)? Any lights (glowing) on the desktop or laptop? Any lights on the A/C adapter if its a laptop?
Few reason for the shut down
Could be heat, electrical,
1. try cleaning all vents with compress air in order to remore dust and fuzz that can be cloging the vents.
Once this done, verify that fans works proprelly,(check air flow coming out of vents) if they dont they will need to be replace or cleaned out.
2. Check power supply unit, and battery.
Sometime power supply unit is defective, getting too hot and power output is not stable and shuts down the laptop. ( change power supply unit) check if battery hold charge. if not change battery
3. Check connections for looseness and contact
If all seems normal,and none of the mentionned point seem to be defective, the cause is deeper and would need to be looked at by a technician.
Hi, If the computer is hot near the electrical plug in the back of the computer then the power supply needs to be replaced. This will also cause overheating problems if the fan does not exhaust enough air. You should not run the computer in this condition because the power supply can short out and take other components with it. Also there is a risk that it will burn up. Power supplies are very inexpensive and can be changed by anyone with basic computer repair knowledge. Hank
From what you are describing it sounds like a intermittent motherboard issue
Please try the following
1) Switch on your Laptop 2) Press F12 or del key or esc to enter bios mode 3) Once in bios mode leave there and see if it shuts down 4) If it does shutdown thne you are having a overheating issue and i belive it will be the heat sink that has gone faulty, you will need to book into a reputable PC shop for repair 5) If it doesnt shut down in this mode then you have a softwqare issue and will need to carry out a full reformat of the laptop
If this has been useful please leave positive feedback/vote/testimonial as this will help me greatly - Thank you again
Plug it into the electrical outlet and then turn on your laptop. if it comes on and works fine, then your battery is just simply dead, and if it will charge, just needs to charge. If not, then you are going to have to replace your battery. But assuming all of this is true, and your laptop will power on when using your electrical outlet, then yes, feel free to use it whenver you like when plugged in.
You have the right idea. The problem is power. If you have had a recent electrical storm or your power grid is "dirty" (spikes and brownouts in electricity) then your television's power supply/converter could have been damaged. Or there is a short in the television. I recommend trying a couple of things before calling a local technician. First, try plugging the television into a different outlet. If the outlet was shorted out then the television could be protecting itself by shutting back down. There could also be a problem in the polarity. Most hardwar/electrical stores sell outlet testers that you just plug into the wall. The device will tell you if the outlet it working properly. If that does not work, then contact your technician. If they can repair the television then you will want to make sure you plug your television into a surge protector (not just a powerstip). Good luck. :)