I put a new baracuda 160gb hard drive and it giving me a hard time loading the new windows set up it give me a error #7
it said that is not have set up exe. could some let me know how to fix this problem and re load windows xp thanks in advance
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: error installing windows xp
Hi! there,set up exe. that was when your setting up win 98 you have to install that came from floppy disk before you can install win 98.there is an os win 98 in your system you have to delete that previous os before installing another win xp.restart ur computer. press F2 to open your bios set-up . then select bios set-up priority your cd-room drive second,your hard drive. last, quit and save set-up. and then your computer will restart. insert your cd windows xp then reinstall your window xp. delete the previous os then follow the set up on your window xp until you install your new window xp.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1) Insert the new hard drive.
2) Press the F8 key as the laptop boots. This will take you into the BIOS.
3) Locate the disk drive priority setting in the bios.
4) Set Priority 1 to your CD/DVD drive and priority 2 to the 320GB hard drive.
5) Save settings and exit the BIOS. This should reboot your laptop.
6) Insert the Windows XP CD.
7) It should not start the setup as it recognises the CD.
8) I will recommend that you format the drive before you install, go along with the format (make sure it does a full format).
9) After the format it will reboot your system.
10) You will be prompted with a message like "Press any key to boot form CD", DON'T press anything otherwise it will start all over again.
11) Now it should start the install. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Windows Xp installtion give Blue Screen of Death when XP tries to installed devices driver during installation or when the cd is corruptted and cannot be read in graphical mode installation or when the hard drive is corrupted with Bad sector.
Get a new windows XP CD and configure your system BIOS to default setting ( load optimal settings) and configured for IDE drive configuration to compatible mode or disable mode if you are using SATA hard drive.
If problem still occured, get "Bad sector recovery pro" and try to repair the hard disk.If the bad sector are unrecoverable then change the hard drive.
Sometimes, faulty RAM also give blue screen too. Check your RAM too.
This drive error code 7 means the controller board that controls the drive has failed, the board is located on the harddrive itself, Replacing this drive will solve your problem, unfortunely Segate has had many issues with this drive especially the SATA ver .7, 160GB versions..
To access an external USB drive in Windows 98, you need to be using Windows 98 SE (Second Edition). Before SE, there was no USB support in Windows 98.
Even then, you will probably not be able to access the full 160Gb of the hard drive. Your best bet is to upgrade to a newer version of Windows, such as 2000, or XP. I know that, depending on your hardware, that might be asking a little too much, but to support all these more modern gadgets, you're going to have to give up on 98 eventually.