Our Spacesaver microwave oven shut down last night in the middle of a cycle. I opened it up and changed the fuse which had blown. It now turns on, and the display and lights work, but it runs at a low power, as if something is holding it back from running full power. It sounds as if it is trying to run but is straining to do so.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: GE Spacesaver Microwave not running
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
It's most likely a bad high-voltage transformer or magnetron, but it's hard to say without being able to check it.
If it will run without blowing the fuse, you may be able to do a test. This should only be performed by someone observing safety warnings mentioned at the link above.
Put about 2 cups in a microwave-safe container inside the cavity. Run the oven for about 3 minutes, or until it blows the fuse.
Then unplug the oven from the wall, and carefully feel the top of the high-voltage transformer and inside or near the finned area of the magnetron to see if either gets really hot. If one does, it's the likeliest suspect.
When the high-voltage transformer fails, it often gets discolored and smokes, but not always. You can look for that, too.
It's very important that the internal cooling fan is running, and that the air vents are not blocked opr plugged.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
TAKE MICRO APART PHILLIPS HEAD SREWDRIVER LOOK FOR A FUSE DOWN WERE THE PLUG COMES IN OR ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE.iF THAT DOUSNT SOLVE IT TRY TO TIGHTEN ALL THE SCREWS BE CAREFULL YOU DONT HAVE TO TIGHTEN VERY TIGHT. THANKS FOR ASKING Troy Lawton
I solved the problem by buying a new microwave and it was not a GE. I feel that GE should have had a recall on this problem, since it seemed to be a major problem in their system. I will never buy another GE product.
I have not gotten a solution for this problem. I thought your website said one of the experts would respond for free. Seems like that must have been a hoax to give you the opportunity to sell me something. Shame on you!
I am still waiting for the free assistance, as advertised.
A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.
if you are as lucky as i was...i have a ge spacesaver model jvm130...same problem. first unplug unit and check fuse on the "power control module". if fuse is ok...unscrew the screws holding the "power control module" in place...carefully tilt module and see if a solder
joint needs to be re-soldered. my problem was the solder joint under the front plug (5 large wire plug). you may have to unplug the three connectors to the board to get access to bottom. this is the second time i had to re-solder...last one was several years ago though. best of luck