S1IS canon camera
Apparently the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor used in this Canon digital camera may cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all.
To determine if the CCD (image sensor) is working properly, follow these steps:
1. Insert a memory card with known good images on it into the camera.
2. Power the camera on to the Playback mode.
3. Press the DISPLAY (DISP) button to enable the LCD panel, and observe
a. If the images are displayed properly, please proceed to step
b. If the images are not displayed, or a "NO IMAGES" message
appears, please ensure that the memory card contains known good images.
c. If the card contains known good images, and the issue persists
with a second memory card, the camera will require service.
4. Switch the camera to the Camera mode. You may use any shooting mode
(i.e. Auto, Manual).
5. Press the DISPLAY (DISP) button to enable the LCD panel.
6. Point the camera at a well-lit scene and observe the LCD and/or
viewfinder. If the scene the camera is pointed at appears on the LCD
and/or viewfinder, the CCD is operating properly. If the LCD and/or
viewfinder remain black, the camera requires service.
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will
repair, free of charge, products exhibiting the above-mentioned
malfunction if the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair.