First off, you will need a Wi-Fi connection to hook-up your consoles.
- Select the Wii logo (lower-left corner of the main menu)
- Select "WII SETTINGS" , then "INTERNET OPTIONS" option , then "CONNECTION SETTINGS".
- Select one of the available selections and confirm the "WIRELESS CONNECTION" option.
- Select the "SEARCH FOR ACCESS POINT" ( the Wii console will now look for the best local Wi-Fi connections available).
- Pick your preferred access point and then save your settings (Wii will then test the connection and may ask you to perform an update - just press "YES")
-Go to the "ADDRESS BOOK" (from the Wii main menu under the Wii Message Board).
You should see a Friend Code on Page 1. Share your code with a friend you wish to connect to.
-Once you already have the code, press "REGISTER" in the Address Book, select the WII OPTION and enter the Friend code.
For more readings regaring this matter, you may go to the attached link: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/getOnline/index.jsp
All the best to you. Hope to hear positive results.