I just bought a condo with a GE Spacemaker Mod# JVM1860SD
that was stuck in demo mode. (This mod# has been replaced by the JVM1870*** series)
I called GE twice in two days, and finally got someone who had the solution (and it worked):
- Unplug the unit for at least 30 seconds
- Plug the unit back in DO NOT SET THE CLOCK
- While the unit is still "booting up" and the display screen is lit with gibberish, HOLD THE POWER LEVEL AND THE ZERO BUTTON for at least 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, the screen will display "demo mode off"
It messed me up at first because the power level and zero pads don't beep when the unit is booting up... but it worked.
- Again, this is for the GE Spacemaker 1860-1870 series models only - The women who gave me instructions said she had different demo mode unlock methods for the 1400, 3670, 2070 etc... so call GE if you have a different model.
P.S. my model looks like this - the keypad setup is key http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=JVM1870SK&SITEID=GEA