When we print the printer works fine, but if we copy or transmit a fax, at odd intervals there is a 2" wide black skid mark in the middle of the fax. I scanned a 30 page file and there were the marks going down 4-9 pages at a time adn there were also some perfect pages, but few.
I have cleaned the white strip and the glass light bar to no effect. We are still getting the black mark. It looks like a rubber roller skipped or something...very odd.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: HORIZONTAL Lines on faxed/scanned pages.
I've seen this before. Since the printer portion is working fine that points to the scanner mechanism as the culprit. There are two things I have seen cause this.
1) If the line is a perfect rectangle all the way to the edge of the page then the light bar itself is dying and there isn't much you can do to save the unit. Send it in for warranty repair if you have the option.
2) If the line is more like a skid mark like you mentioned, then the paper that is being scanned is not pressing up fully against the light bar. Not enough light is bouncing off the page and the scanner can't read it well. This can also be caused by a roller not feeding correctly and then bunching up the paper a little bit. I would check the rollers for wear or something being off center. This can sometimes be caused if the machine has ran a high volume or thick paper.
I would really think the cause would be one of these two since you are getting the marks at odd intervals, if the intervals were regular it could *possibly* be the drum but as I stated before, with the print function working right, I doubt it.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hi, When the paper is fed through Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) is is scanned before copy or fax. The scanner is fixed type and is located just below the ADF. The
lines are due to dirty scanner mirror. The printer/ scanner design is
based Sheet-Fed Scanner. Open/Lift the Control Panel (scanner top )(by pulling it up from front - the area from where the paper to scan comes out). Look out for the horizontal
mirror and use a soft, damp, lint-free cloth to gently clean the
scanner mirror, rollers etc. and enjoy clear scanning and copying!
for any tron pieces of paper dirt etc.DONT USE PAPER, CHEMICALS OR ANY ABRASIVE
CLOTH as it may damage the parts. Also note that your machine can scan an image only 8.15 inches wide, regardless of how wide the paper is.
Hope it helps! Good Luck! Thanks for using Fixya! CreativeTECH
Can you post some images of exactly what this looks like? Just make a few copies of a blank sheet of paper if you need to - actually that would probably be better so we'd get nothing but the skid mark.
I might be able to make some educated guesses about it once I see it.