Car Audio & Video Logo

Related Topics:

Question about Car Audio & Video

2 Answers

Sony explode amp ''OVER CURRENT'' light on -no sound

My sony amp was ok but then the over current light came on, now no sound. What does ''over current'' mean and how do I rectify it?

Posted by Anonymous on

  • 1 more comment 
  • temeculasmog Apr 04, 2009

    How would u feed 240v through the rca inputs?

  • vtdag1 May 19, 2009

    I have a Sony Xplod 760 watt amp and the over current light is on. how do i feed 240 volts through the RCA inputs?

  • Anonymous May 11, 2010

    The over-current protection generally means the amp has shorted output transistors. If you disconnect all of the speaker wires from the speaker terminals on the amp and disconnect the RCA cables and the amp still goes into protection, the outputs are almost certainly shorted.

×

Ad

2 Answers

Anonymous

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Amp was toast.

Posted on Mar 25, 2009

Ad

Anonymous

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

Just feed 240V through the RCA inputs and check if the amp power light comes on. if it does the the amp should have automatically been reconditioned.... you are now ready to rock n roll!!!

Posted on Mar 24, 2009

Ad

Add Your Answer

×

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1helpful
2answers

I have a Schumacher 10 amp fast charge Se40map. It powers fine, but meter doesn't show anything so I am not sure it's working properly. It sparks a little when I jiggle the clips. Any ideas?

Meter is calibrated in amps to show charge rate and usually that meter will be a moving iron type where the current actually flows through the meter. The indicator pointer might be jammed but if the meter is faulty in any other way there would be no sparking when you jiggle the clips.

There is an outside chance the meter is a moving coil type that reads a voltage across a shunt resistor. With this type a meter fault is possible without affecting the charge current.

It is worth noting, when a battery is fully charged, completely discharged, badly sulphated or otherwise faulty, no current will flow and so the ammeter will not indicate any current when the charger is switched to low or automatic and possibly when switched to manual high...

One final point - it isn't wise to do anything that causes a spark near a lead acid battery. A charging battery produces a highly explosive gas and they can explode quite violently.
1helpful
1answer

My microwave shows an error that says c-5 what is it

That would be "CS", which means low current sense.

CS Current Sense

Current Sense - Indicates control is sensing low current
(Amp) draw. Check components which would allow unit
to run but produce no heat or low heat. Current sense
circuit is active only when using pre-programmed pads.
Time Entry feature will by-pass current sense circuit.
Red wire from cavity T.C.O. must be routed through
current sense loop on H.V. Board.
Possible Causes:
1. Interlock switch (contacts 2 & 3).
2. Open thermal cut-out (magnetron).
3. Open/loose wire.
4. Power relay.
5. H.V. Board.
6. Magnetron.
7. Diode.
8. Capacitor.
9. Transformer.
10.Triac.

See the full service manual here.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
0helpful
1answer

Its on over current

when the overcurrent light lights up, this means the amp is being run too hard or too loud. try cutting the gain back a little. i always hated putting in the sony amps that had those lights on it. it seems that when you turn it up and get it sounding good the light comes on.... if the overcurrent light is on all the time and it doesnt make sund....the amp could be bad. good luck.
2helpful
2answers
0helpful
1answer

Protection lite and over current lite stay on

Sounds like a problem with the coils. Coils are known to short-out during periods of high-use. This happens when the insulation between wires break down and allow for a path of lower resistance for the current to travel. If this is the problem, you'll have to replace the coils in the amp which is a weekend job, but completely do-able. Hope this helps
2helpful
1answer

Red light on PDX 1.600 alpine amp... no sound

Hello zim69zim69zi,

Solid red indicates 4 possible conditions: 1) Short circuit, 2) Current too high, 3) Voltage too high, or 4) Overheated. The most common faults are the short and overheated.

If the fault is intermittent, the amp is probably overheating. If it is a constant fault, anytime the amp is powered up, then I'd recommend that you first check all of the wiring. If the wiring is OK, then you have a voltage or current problem. If it's voltage, the vehicle electrical system is probably causing it. You can check that with a meter. It should be from about 12VDC with the engine off, to about 15VDC with the engine running (alternator putting out). The amp should be able to operate OK up to about 16VDC but as components age, their values change. I'd look for a minimum of 10.8VDC and a maximum of 14.8VDC.

If the problem is overcurrent, the amp itself probably has a defective component causing it to draw too much current. It needs professional repair.

Hope this helps.
1helpful
1answer

Why is the Over Current light lighting up on my Amp?

This means the speakers are trying to draw more current from the amp than it's rated for. Generally this means the speaker wires or terminals have been shorted together. Check your wiring to make sure nothing is shorted.
0helpful
1answer

760 sony explode amp in protection mode

I have a Sony X-Plod amp 760w 2/1 channel xm-1902gx. Everything is connected properly and the amp contains 4 lights (power,over current and two others). Power lights up like it's supposed but the over current lights up as well. I am unable to get any sound from it. Can you help me before I trash the amp.
0helpful
1answer

No Sound/ lights flashing on Amp

Disconnect your subs from the amp. If the lights go out then your sub is blown and is putting the amp into protect. If the lights keep flashing even with the subs disconnected than the Amp is toast.
1helpful
1answer

Over current light comes on.

Over-current lights are often caused by speaker wiring or impedance problems. If you're trying to use the amplifier in bridged mode to both subs, that may be causing the problem; re-wire the speakers so that each sub is connected to one amplifier channel. If you still get the over-current light, disconnect all speaker wiring from the amp and see if it still occurs. If it does, there's an internal problem with the amp. If it doesn't, then there's still a wiring problem with the subs. You may have a defective sub, or a speaker wire shorted against another wire or terminal.
Not finding what you are looking for?

849 views

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Car Audio & Video Experts

xxxxxx xxx

Level 3 Expert

5048 Answers

Marvin
Marvin

Level 3 Expert

85241 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76851 Answers

Are you a Car Audio and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...