Errors 161, 192, 163.
All three of these errors are connected to the back up battery.
To resolve this problem:
1. open memory flap on base of laptop (small philips
2. find the small connector with 1 black & 1 red
wire coming from it.
3. disconnect above connector and gently pull the Red&black wires. The backup battery should just pull out from under the casing.
4. get replacement battery. Either
a. call IBM spares (07900 247 490 in UK) and ask for FRU:
02K6502. UK price is about £8 + £15 delivery + VAT.
b. if comfortable with soldering iron: Carefully open the packaging on the backup battery using a sharp knife. Remove
the solder tags
from the battery (these are spot welded so need to be cut/broken off). Buy a new CR2025 battery from any computer shop, jeweler, or camera shop.
Using electrical tape, insulate all round edge of battery
Solder the leads onto the new battery - note polarity. Red wire to +, black wire to -.
Using more insulating tape, wrap battery so that all exposed metal is covered.
5. put new battery into laptop (reverse steps 1-3)
6. start up computer, error 192 has gone, but still shows 161, 163. Select OK.
7. reset date & time, and OK
8. when screen
shows 'O / I' restart laptop using on/off switch
Good luck and thanks for using FixYa!!