Best way to remove microwave fire residue, soot and smell...
I am trying to get the fire residue out of the inside top, sides, and some of the bottom of a microwave. Baking soda cleaned outside and around the inside of door nicely, but is not removing brown coloration from sides and top. Is this permanently burnt or is it removeable with something else. The microwave seems to work well.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I guess the question is, what kind of smell is it? Is it like rotten food? Is it like burned wires? If you are not sure, ask a friend to help you identify the smell. Any burned smell is telling you "Get rid of the machine RIGHT NOW before it catches fire".
Other smells that are not so bad can sometimes be helped with a good "airing out" and the addition of a pile or box of baking soda inside to absorb the smell. Do not turn the machine on with the baking soda inside. Air it out outside or in an area that is not living space.
God bless your efforts.
Fill a plastic bowl with 1 qt. of warm water. Add 2 tbsp. of liquid dish
soap and 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach to the water. Thoroughly mix the
Dampen a clean cotton rag in the solution. Wipe all inside surfaces of
the microwave with the soapy rag to remove food debris and stains. Scrub
stubborn residue with a nylon scrub brush.
Moisten another cotton rag with warm water. Wipe the
microwave surfaces with the rag to wash away soap and loose food
debris. Thoroughly rinse the inside of the microwave.
Dry the microwave's interior surfaces with paper towels. If
odors remain in the microwave, fill a microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of
cool water. Add to the water 2 tbsp. of baking soda, half of a chopped
lemon (including pulp and rind) and four whole cloves.
Place a microwave-safe plate on the microwave turntable. Set the bowl on the plate.
Heat the microwave on high for three minutes. Operate the
microwave according to the manufacturer's directions. Keep the bowl in
the microwave for 15 minutes.7
Remove the bowl from the microwave. Wipe the microwave's interior surfaces with clean paper towels to remove steam moisture.
Leave the microwave door open overnight to completely air out any remaining odors.
Hi Diane, that happened to me last year my daughter burned popcorn in microwave. I washed it out with baking soda and water, hot water. Then rinse it out good and place about a tsp. of baking soda in a small bowel with a little water set timer for 10 seconds on high power, this helps to nuetrilize the air flow and now you can use it with out any burn smell.
Spray the inside with Dow Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom cleaner, let foam, wipe clean, and rinse. Then if the odor persists, mix one part vinegar, two parts water in a bowl, set inside the Microwave and turn on for five minutes.
Baking soda is good at absorbing odor. Maybe you could sprinkle a generous amount on the bottom of the microwave and run it on defrost for about 30 minutes. If the odor seems to abate after this, repeat 'til you're happy.