Question about Sony STR-DE705 Receiver

1 Answer

Sony STR-DE705 question

I have a sony STR-DE705 receiver purchased in USA. I am moving to another country where the voltage is 240 volts/60Hz power supply. My question is: Is it possible to use a step down voltage converter and use this receiver while I am temporarily there? Thanks for your response. Regards,

Posted by Chandra Nagar on

  • Chandra Nagar Aug 10, 2007

    There was one incorrect information, the voltage/frequency in destination country is 240V/50Hz - Here we have 120V/60Hz. I was informed that the receiver uses Power transistors. Will the step down converter solution work with frequency difference?




1 Answer

bengsoon Neo

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 63 Answers

Yes you can use a step down converter,but remember to use a higher rating converter.if your receiver need 100w ( or 1A )then you need a converter at least give 150w ( or 2A ).

Posted on Aug 06, 2007

  • bengsoon Neo Aug 10, 2007

    Yes, step down converter can work for 50hz or problem at all.The pwr transistors inside the receiver is working in DC ( direct current) not AC. so 50hz or 60 hz is doesn't matter.



Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Can I and how do I hook a subwoofer to my Sony str-de705 receiver

It depends. You can connect an active (self-powered) sub-woofer to the STR-DE705. You can't connect a passive sub-woofer that needs power from the receiver. If the sub-woofer has its own power cord, then it's an active unit. See for more information. You'll also need a RCA subwoofer cable. This is like a RCA audio cable but only has one plug on each end. (Using a regular audio cable may risk a short when the extra plugs hit something.) Many subwoofers will come with the audio cable. If you do need one, they are available at most places that sell cables, including .

Here is an example of an active subwoofer: . This is the Yamaha YST-SW012.

I hope this helps.

Cindy Wells

Mar 15, 2016 | Sony Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

I'm planning to buy and use the cozy toes heating mat on 220-240 v electricity. Would that work fine with one purchased from the USA?

you will have to check the voltage before purchase because the usa voltages are different from ours they use 110v 60hz we use 230v 50hz
you would have to by a transformer if it was 110v 60hz but some exported usa appliances are 220v and will be ok you will have to check before you buy i

Dec 01, 2011 | Comfort Products Foot Warmer Mat - Cozy...

2 Answers

I just bought KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer KSM150PS with 110v and 60Hz online and received it today and realised I cannot use it on australia. Can I use transformer which I can get here to convert 110V...

You need a Step Down Voltage Converter (also called a Voltage Transformer)
which steps down 240, 230, 220 volts to 110 volts and
allows you to use 110 volts Devices from USA in 220 v / 230 v / 240 v Countries

Aug 10, 2011 | KitchenAid KSM150PS Artisan Series Stand...

1 Answer

Hi .. am in a country that has 220V power outlets. What do I need to use my kitchen ais that has 120V, 60hz and a maximum of 330 Watts requirements?

You need a Step Down Voltage Converter (also called a Voltage Transformer)
which steps down 240, 230, 220 volts to 110 volts and
allows you to use 110 volts Devices from USA in 220 v / 230 v / 240 v Countries

Aug 04, 2011 | KitchenAid Artisan KSM150PSSM Stand Mixer

1 Answer

Hi - I purchased a JVC TH-S3 Home Theatre System in the UK. It is set up for 240v 50Hz input. How do I convert it to operate on 110v 60Hz?

Check the unit for a sticker stating it's electrical approval numbers. There should be the voltage and cycles required. There could well be a switch of some description near this sticker Saying 120-240 with an arrow showing which way to put the switch to change the voltage. This usually involves removing a plate of some description to stop someone changing it by mistake. Don't forget the cycles as well. The UK uses 50hz or 50 cycles whilst the USA uses 60 cycles. Using the wrong one could burn the power supply out and even cause a fire. Many smaller electrical items are self seeking when it comes to power supplies but large components such as TVs and HiFi units are usually set.

If the sticker says 240 volts 50 hz then thats for the UK
If it has 120 volts 60 hz as well then it's possible to use in the US. Luckily it has a dual power supply built in. The chances of this is rather rare so you could have a boat anchor instead of a HiFi

Whatever you do DON'T just chabge the plug and try it out. There'll be smoke for sure.

If you are unsure get it checked by an electrician.

One way out would be to buy a transformer which changes the 120 volts to 240 volts but you will still have the cycles to worry about. So unless the cycles are changeable you can't use the hifi in the US.

Sorry for the bad news If it's not too large it's possible to recover some money by selling in on Ebay in The UK or Australia or any other country using 240/50hz

Apr 07, 2010 | JVC TH-S3 System

2 Answers

Hello i have a Sony Vaio PCW-W2 that i brought to canada from uk. how do i switch voltage to 110?

u can find voltage converter connectors......try using that....u can ask for travel adapters....hope u find them

Mar 08, 2010 | Sony Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Soon as i turn power on my sony receiver goes straight to protection mode can i disconect the fuse to reset it

Resetting probably won't fix it, Sounds like it needs output transistors and some resistors and/or fuses

Nov 28, 2009 | Sony STR-DE705 Receiver

2 Answers

Does not work on 50Hz kenmore elite dish washer

If it was built for 60Hz AC power (American), it will not work on 50Hz power. The Hz, is the number of cycles per second, the electricity makes. If your motor & controls are wired for 60cycles, they will not get the proper electrical supple to work on 50 cycles. AC voltage goes from neutral to positive to neutral to negative to neutral, (one cycle) according to the country you are in. Some countries also use 230 or 240 volts, instead of 120 volts.

Sep 10, 2009 | Dishwashers

4 Answers

Can i use an Xbox 360 bought in USA in India - given the voltage conversion required? would there be any seperate adaptor available for 220 volt usage in India

You can purchase a volt adapter (rather common in travel stores/airports) but over time the device's power-supply will wear out because of the frequency difference.

North America runs at 60hz
India runs at 50hz

Jun 30, 2009 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

Need to convert my 110 volt 15amp to 240 volt

You can buy a transformer which allows all 110v power tools to work from a 240v supply. You will also need to change the plug on the compressor to a yellow 110v type. You can buy transformers for around £25 and around £3 for the plug

Mar 29, 2009 | Craftsman Air Tools & Compressors

Not finding what you are looking for?
Audio Players & Recorders Logo

Related Topics:


Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sony Audio Players & Recorders Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76582 Answers

aliasger yq

Level 2 Expert

219 Answers

Alvin Barnabas
Alvin Barnabas

Level 2 Expert

134 Answers

Are you a Sony Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides