We recently (about 4 months ago we had a digital thermometer installed to replace the old one. Twice this week there has been an 'electrical burning' smell when you go into the living room (where new thermostat is located). At first we thought is was a new cordless phone so we unplugged that and the nightlight in that outlet and it seemed to have gone away. Tonight it is back. It appears that it is near the thermostat (opening in the wall where it is connected).
The walls are not warm, there is no smoke and we've checked from the basement and didn't see anything. (not certain of the brand below but i know it works for both heat/cold)
Wednesday night we could smell something burning in my back bedroom we had to call the fire dept to my house they were there for 2 or 3 hours turning to find out what the burning smell was coming from they couldn't find out what it is we had somebody to come and look at the plug in but there has been nothing plug in there we had to shut the power off in that room and it still smell like something is still burning in there what is going on?
Mhenn, It is my guess that the 'electrical burning' smell is from your heating system. Since there is no smoke and the walls are not warm.... then there is no real problem. The smell maybe just dust has collected in the duct work that is burning off the central heating systems electrical heat strips. If you have electrical heat strips then that may be the problem. If you have a central gas heat system, it may be the same type problem. Hope this helps you. Henry
I've seen tstats catch fire they may smell mild at first sort of like a server room where tons of electronics are running. Normally all the resistors and caps start melting away sometimes you can see it other times you can't. The reason typically is a short to ground somewhere in the wiring. It's nothing to take lightly the furnace should only smell maybe the first two times it's fired electric or heat. I think your family's safety is well worth the costs of paying a qualified hvac pro to check things over.
The smell may be coming from the heater, or the area where yours is located. It is possible that your HVAC system is carrying the smell to other places in your home. That being said, I would suggest getting an electrician out to check everything and make sure it isn't electrical. Good luck and stay safe! The smell may be coming from the heater, or the area where yours is located. It is possible that your HVAC system is carrying the smell to other places in your home. That being said, I would suggest getting an electrician out to check everything and make sure it isn't electrical. Good luck and stay safe! http://www.a-allateaseelectric.com/meter-panel-upgrades
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Most likely a bad connection will generate heat. The "pause" was enough to cool off the bad connection now cooler. So that thermal adjustment is enough to allow at least a marginal connection to perform again. check wires and connections to switches by hand.
be careful not to burn fingers. A hand held Digital Infaraed Thermometer (I just bought new one for $15.) may help you track the electrical hot spot. It may help with other kinds of troubleshooting.
Yes, the card should last longer. You should verfiy that your electrical voltage is appropriate, and also make sure the unit is grounded properly. Voltage spikes can and do burn out electronics, you may also want to consider install a surge supression system on your electrical system
it sounds like you need to up the temp on your water heater so that you are mixing more cold with the hot .be careful hot water can cause burns if valve is 4 years old then it has a limit stop do not set above 120 *you will need allen key and thermometer to check temp
If this is a new range the odor is coming from the binder used to install the insulation in the range. You would need to put it through a self clean cycle of at least four hours to burn off this binder. I would suggest that you do it on a nice day when you are staying home and can open the windows as it will smell quite horrid for a while.
I have 65" Mits. lamp lasted about 2+ years and burned out. bought new on internet, that lasted about 5 months and went. Got free replacement and that lasted about 4 months. No more free replacements ...
Bought new from different source and it burned out in a week.
Note: These were ALL OSRAM original lamps from reputable suppliers.
They sent a new one but also cautioned about cleaning the "filter" on the lamp housing. NOT the large screens on either side, but the small rectangular one (about 3/4" x 2"). I did this with a shop vac pulling and pushing from every angle and it was really clogged almost solid. No way air was going across the bulb to cool it.
THIS IS CRUCIAL and I feel is the keys to the kingdom! I did this and voila - no more "plastic smell" when installing the new lamp and everything's great!
I feel that Mits should be held accountable for this for not recommending the lamp housing be cleaned periodically (maybe yearly). I really feel if this were done with my original one it would have last a lot longer.
Hey PNorris, If multiple electronic devices are failing in your home all at once, I would probably first have to ask if your home recently experienced an electrical storm or major power surge of any kind. Normally the effects of such large-scale surges are immediately noticeable - TV's and other major electronic devices may fail to turn on, fuses may be blown or circuit breakers tripped, and in some cases electrical wiring may be melted. If nothing like this has happened recently, low-level power surges may still be a potential cause of this problem. When the motor from any large appliance (such as an air conditioner or refrigerator) turns on or off, it often diverts power to and from other electronic devices using the same circuits. This fluctuation in electrical current may result in low-level power surges to every connected device. While not immediately noticeable, these low-level surges can often cause the eventual failure of (and gradually degrading quality in) many audio/video components. Typically, the easiest way to avoid situations like this is to make sure that outlets are not overloaded and surge protectors are used with every major electrical device in your home. For older homes however, replacing the house's wiring may be necessary. Homes that were originally built at the turn of the 20th century may not always have wiring capable of supporting the electrical needs of many modern appliances. Ultimately, this means that in addition to contacting your local TV repair facility, you may want to also speak with an electrician. This is probably the best way to determine whether or not power surges have caused these failures, and may give you a better idea how to proceed. Hope this helps you out. Sincerely, Aaron Go Ahead. Use Us.
THE BURNING SMELL IS NORMAL. BEFORE HEATING SEASON OPEN ALL DOORS AND TURN THE HEAT UP AND LET RUN TILL ALL DUST IS BURNT OFF.
IF BLOWER IS NOT COMMING ON NOW. THERE ARE 2 TIME DELAY RELAYS, AND ANOTHER RELAY FOR "FAN ONLY OPERATION". ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT THE PROBLEM BEFORE REPLACING AN EXPENSIVE MOTOR.