While cooking something in my microwave, I heard a loud bang. The food was done, but now the light always stays on. I can enter a new cook time, but when I hit start I just hear beeps. It won't turn on. Is there any easy fix to this? Thanks.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
An expert that has over 10 points.
An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.
Re: Loud Bang, then Light Stays On, Can't Cook
Something has failed in the high voltage supply to the magnetron. There are no user serviceable parts inside, but there are INSTANTLY LETHAL voltages present. Scrap the oven & get a new one, they are generally not worth reparing.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The arching is probably to the cabinet where paint is missing. This usually occurs at the edge where the microwaves travel into the cabinet. You can get microwave paint from your local appliance parts supplier. It's special paint that is non - conductive.
It is possible, but you heard a similar bang earlier, from the description the magnetron is arcing on a occassion because it is failing, or there is bare metal exposed on the interior. I would recommend getting it checked out to make sure there is no safety hazard and have it resolved.
PROBLEMS WITH 3 PARTS CAUSE "NO COOK" PROBLEMS--THE HV CAP ,,THE HV DIODE OR THE MAGNTRON--IF THIS MAKES A LOUD NOISE WHEN TRYING TO COOK-YOU HAVE ONE OR MORE OF THESE PARTS BAD,,SORRY ,USUALLY NOT COST EFFECTIVE--TUNICA