Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
If you're hearing a crackling noise and don't see any sparks, you may have a magnetron that is arcing inside the waveguide. Once this arcing occurs, in some cases, replacing the magnetron may not be enough to fix the problem. There was also a noted problem with some models where the stirrer motor shaft inside the waveguide would arc when the magnetron was energized. This too, caused damage inside the waveguide. If the internal walls of the waveguide become damaged it cannot be repaired and the unit must be scrapped. The waveguide has a special coating to help propagate waves of RF energy. If the walls are damaged due to arcing this special coating gets burned off and will continue to arc even if a new magnetron is installed. This will eventually lead to magnetron failure and potentially cause a fire inside the oven. I would think seriously about looking into another unit if any of this may be occurring in your oven. Better to play it safe, especially with small children. I hope you find this advice helpful. PS A new magnetron can run as high as $250.
Posted on Jul 09, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: