- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
the clicking may have been coming from the relay itself, but it doesn't simply mean that the relay is faulty. clicking may also be caused by transformers, indicating that some electronic components have developed SHORT CIRCUIT. try measuring resistance of transistors and diodes near the power unit (unplug/turn the unit OFF of course) check also for the impedance of the output power transformers. check the amplifier IC for short also.
Generally speaking, an amp attempts to protect itself from heat, shorts, overloads and operator exuberance by refusing to turn on or stay on.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output or marginally low impedance loading by the speakers; and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it '*****'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced and competent hands-on tech.
Check for loose speaker connections at the speaker as another possible root cause for intermittent shutdown.
I have found there are capacitors failing through the output circuit. Look for 10, 33, 47, etc.. microfarads.In that range. I charge typicaly 150 to $200 with parts on something like this. Larry's Electronics [email protected]
When the unit functions correctly, you should hear 2 clicks. The first is the power relay that "starts" the unit. The second is the speaker protection relay that will kick in the speaker connection. If you do not hear the second click, the unit is in protect mode. This means that a problem was detected in the amp section and the unit is prevented from connecting the speakers. This is done to prevent further damage. Typically the output transistors fail and cause this. Expect a parts cost in the $25-$50 range for this repair.
This maybe an easy one. Have you unhooked all the wires going in to the stereo. "SP wires" means you have wires to the speakers are touching and the stereo is shutting down to avoid overloading. Hope this helps...