Question about Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable

3 Answers

International Power I brought my Technics 1210MK with me to Germany (from the USA) and, knowing that the European electrical sockets are different, I purchased an adapter, after reaching Germany. When I connected the turntable plug (with the adapter) to the wall socket, the turntable seemed to have electrically shorted out and now my turntable will not turn on at all! Have I permanently harmed my turntable or is this a problem which can be easily fixed? Desparate to find out...Thanks for your advice in advance...

Posted by on


3 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 7 Answers

Well exactly what djpro said just take off your platter or peek threw one of those holes on your platter and look for the little screw driver knob turn it to 220v ... But... remember when u return to the US of A you peek in the hole again and turn it back to 110. good day mate lol

Posted on Oct 19, 2007


  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 515 Answers

FYI, since you have a SL1210MK2 - there is an voltage switch on the unit, right under the turntable platter - just for this reason. So, if you've fixed this issue, make sure you change the voltage setting to 220V on your turntable, and you'll be fine for the future. - Justin

Posted on Sep 02, 2007


  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 944 Answers

You have probably permanently damaged your turntable. The voltage supply in Germany is 220V AC, whereas in the US it is 110 V AC. It is just possible that all you have done is to blow a fuse in the unit, if no external fuse holders are visible then try opening up the case and looking for one near where the power cable enters the unit. If you have no luck with that then the transformer is almost certainly burnt out - this could be replaced but it is unlikely to be something you can do yourself. Please don't plug anything else that is designed for 110V into a European socket, regardless of being able to get an adaptor that will fit the socket - the voltage is different. It will almost certainly die as well and the possible risks of electric shock, fire etc. are quite significant. Hope this helps, if you want to try and get the unit repaired in Germany please ask again with details of your location and I will try and find you a reputable repair facility. If in doubt about which of your items can be plugged in in Europe then please ask as some can be switched to deal with the higher voltage, although not all. :)

Posted on Jun 25, 2007

1 Suggested Answer


6ya staff

  • 2 Answers


Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I just moved to France and brought my Juki TL-2010Q from the USA. I plugged it in with a European adaptor and it blew the fuse? Is it fixable? Where do I get a replacement fuse? Thank you! Suzanne

Did you mean an 'adaptor' (as in two-pin to 3-pin) or a transformer ?
It is a DIFFERENT electrical system in Europe to the USA.
The USA is 110v and Europe is 240 or 220v. The machine is
probably burned out. You would need to take it to a dealer to be checked. You can ONLY use USA electrical equipment with a TRANSFORMER, so that it can function on the different European electrical system. Good luck !

Sep 12, 2016 | Juki Sewing Machines

1 Answer

I brought my Panasonic TX-P46S10E tv from Switzerland to USA, but when I want to change the country there is no option for USA just European union countries. Will the TV work in the US or must I buy a new...

You can use it as computer monitor if you have a converter 220/110
or AC Voltage input switch.There is two systems for the broacasting Pall/Secam
With different frequencies,unless is a dual system will not work.You should buy a New Tv in the USA.

Nov 04, 2012 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

I bought a GE microwave oven model wes1450dm1bb at the USA, but now I am in a different conutry that uses 220 volts as standard. I just read the user manual and in any place says the voltage of the...

No, You'll burn up the appliance. When I was in Germany there were commercially available transformers to step the current down. The transformers plug into the 220 sockets and provide several 110 sockets to plug your appliance into. We purchased several transformers and ran our 110 tvs, kitchen appliances and other 110 appliances. The 220 sockets in Germany were different than 110 and 110 plugs sould not fit.

Feb 23, 2011 | Ovens

1 Answer

Color coded travel adaptor. Not sure color matching Germany

Don't know the color codes, but It has two 4.8mm round contacts on 19mm centres and two grounding clips on the sides of the connector body for Germany (Type C Plug).

Jun 11, 2010 | Franzus Grounded Adapter Plug Power...

1 Answer

Change euro electrical plug to north american

As long as the mains cable running into the deck has only 120 volts going down and the switch is set to 120, there's no reason why you can't cut off the euro plug and fit a USA type plug.

Feb 14, 2010 | Technics SL-1210 Turntable

1 Answer

Voltage adapters/transformers necessary for use in Germany and Austria

Hi there.
All you have to get is the plug adapter when you go to the different countries, in most european counties exept UK you will find all the plug adapters are the same which in turn will save you money, buy the plug adapters when you get the country you are going to and take your power supply with you so they know what type of adapter you need, most european adapters are 2 pin.

Good luck and thanks for using FixYa!!

May 12, 2009 | Gateway M305CRV Notebook

1 Answer

Tune European (Spain) frequencies in a Mercedes R US Version

hello f_miragaya

I have same problem with a US made R350 in Germany.

Did you find any solution?


May 08, 2009 | 2008 Mercedes-Benz Mercedes Benz R Class

1 Answer

Have European Swarovski chandelier wblack/brown pair wire, green and blue separate wires, need to install in USA

This will probably take a meter, first prove the green is ground with an ohm meter from the green lead to the frame or case, if so, we know what to do with that.

next, I need ohm readings between the remaining three leads with NO POWER and switch on.

For example between black to brown 10 ohms, from blue to black 5. from blue to brown 5 ohms, whatever it is, or if they have no connection at all.

From there we have a good start.


Nov 01, 2008 | Kitchen Appliances - Others

Not finding what you are looking for?
Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable Logo

433 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Technics Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

5699 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76204 Answers


Level 3 Expert

85219 Answers

Are you a Technics Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides