Microwave door has burn spots on the glass of the door...
There seems to be brown spots on the inside of the glass door. I cannot clean off these burn spots on the outside of the door, nor the inside of the door. It actually seems that the spots are inside the glass. I'm starting to think there is actually 2 sheets of glass and the spots are between the glass.... does this make any sense? weird. Perhaps there is a way to remove the glass? Please assist/advise. Thanks, Tony
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Microwave door has burn spots on the glass of the...
The brown spots are usually grease / smoke deposits.
Usually there are indeed two sheets of glass in the door.
If the grease is not arcing or smoking, and the metal screen / mesh (that blocks microwave leakage) is not damaged, then it's likely better left alone.
It might be useful to boil a few cups of water with a little vinegar inside the microwave to help dissolve the deposits.
In case you want to take it apart, I have attached a photo from a similar model that illustrates disassembly of the door.
It is not necessary or advisable to remove the door or hinges when disassembling the door.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
On alot of models the door comes as a complete assembly and can't be taken apart. Magic Chef is made by Maytag and I am pretty sure theirs do not come apart. If it does come apart then it is likely held togther by plastic tabs that have to be pried apart. The problem is they break easy and then you will be replacing parts. Guess you will have to decide if it is worth taking that chance because doors are expensive. I don't see your model # in the description but you can try looking a diagram by typing in your complete model # located on the sticker inside the microwave. Try sears.com and click on parts and various other repair sites. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
There is not any power in the door itself. However if the chassis has chipped paint or corrosion the RF from the microwaves magnetron will cause those bare metal areas to reflect the concentrated RF energy and cause sparking.
The only Whirlpool Microwaves that have been recalled, has a model number beginning with XC and had a green sticker on the bottom face area of the chassis where the door closed.
I have often been able to clean and paint the bare metal areas with the correct paint to stop the RF reflection sparks. Using the model number above it is white enamel "appliance paint" that you would use to paint the bare metal areas. A word to the wise.... do not sand outside the area to be painted. Otherwise you re-introduce your current problem post repair.
The model number you passed is missing the very last digit that would be from 0 to 7 (Eight models)
I have a Kenmore with similar issues.
Anyway, good luck with this. Hope someone has an answer for you (and me).
Mine has a open slot on the top front of the door. Kinda like a double plate window execpt for the opening in front. Why is this there? I don't know. Weird design. But it leaves for the possibilty of liquid to splash in there leaving it hard to clean (like impossible).
I'm thinking I have to completely remove and disect the door.
There is a screen behind the outer glass of the door which protects you from harmful microwave emmisions. Residue will build up here over time. Trying to clean this screen may damage it and subject you to serious problems. I have been using Microwave ovens for 35 years with no problems. I dont worry about this because germs will be eliminated by the emmisions.
THE DOOR ON MY MAYTAG MICROWAVE OVEN HAS A SCREEN OVER IT. I HAVE SOME FOOD SPATTERS THAT PENETRATED THE SCREEN AND I CAN'T CLEAN THE GLASS THAT THE SCREEN PROTECTS. HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS SCREEN TO CLEAN THE GLASS?