GE Spacemaker JVM1660 over the counter microwave. About 6 years old. Suddenly stopped heating. Seems to work, and makes a humming noise when it runs, but nothing gets hot anymore. Is the magnetron dead? How I can I tell what the problem may be? Thanks.
The most probably is the magnetron , when the capacitor is damage the equipment blown the fuse
If your microwave is doing everything, but heating it could be any one of the following components: Magnetron HV Capacitor HV Diode HV Transformer This network works in conjunction to produce the high voltage required to heat. Taking live voltage measurements is dangerous and not recommended. You can, however, do resistance checks on the components with the unit unplugged to see if you can isolate the problem any further. The HV Diode should be mounted somewhere on or near the HV capacitor and will read an open in one direction and a relative short in the other. If you put a meter on the capacitor you should see a varying resistance as the capacitor charges and discharges. There should should be a wiring diagram inside your control panel with the resistance readings for the primary and secondary windings of the transformer and the filament of the magnetron. In a nut shell, you probably have either a bad magnetron or a bad diode. Those are the two components that fail more frequently. Of course, double check all your interconnecting wires too. Good luck and let me know if this helps.
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Basic Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips
Usually answered in minutes!