My dryer won't start. A green light under the start button flashes, pressing the start button does not do a thing. I don't hear a motor hum. The light inside the dryer come on when I open the door. The display showing the time appears to be functioning. In another dryer problem description their panel showed something like an 8 for the time. I am fairly confident that the time counter display is functioning. What could be the problem? Thanks.
You could have a couple of things going on that may cause your symptoms. First of all, unplug the dryer. If you can access the inside of the dryer check to see if the dryer belt is broken. On some dryer models if the dryer belt breaks a "broken belt relay" on the idler pulley near the motor will trip causing the motor to shut down. This is to prevent a broken belt from becoming wrapped around the motor shaft. Another possibility is a blown thermal fuse or thermal cut-out. Some dryer models have a thermal fuse mounted on the exhaust vent housing and is white in color. This should read a short. There should be a thermal cut-out mounted on the heating element housing as well. There will be a hi-limit thermostat mounted near it. The thermostat will have a resistance reading (can't remember exactly what it is), and the thermal cut-out should read a short. If the thermal c/o is bad, replace the hi-limit thermostat as well. Now if you have a thermal fuse or thermal cut-out problem, they generally blow for a reason. Check your dryer ducting for proper air flow and make sure its not clogged full of lint. Normally, a thermal problem is associated with your dryer overheating. Good luck and let me know if this helps.
there is a possiblity that the door switch is not working. if you are handy refer to he parts book to see how to remove the switch and check for continuity.
SOURCE: Our 8 year old kenmore
Here is a good link for basic troubleshooting... But 10 to one the culprit is a thermal fuse or thermal cut off.... they are usually pretty cheap and easy to replace....
One final note on these: if you find your thermal fuse\cut off (or element) open, before replacing it, be sure to check the airflow out your dryer's vent system. Even though these devices do 'wear out' with age, poor airflow's the #1 cause of failure of these devices, and if your vent's partially clogged, a new thermal won't last very long, but will do its job again, and leave you 'cold' (a new element won't last long if the vent's clogged, either).
More info and pics:
Usually answered in minutes!