I will preface this by saying I know very little about televisions or electronics. I received this TV from a friend, and it worked fine for a little while.
The current problems:
- The power button does on front of TV does NOT power it on; instead, the volume + button turns on the tv.
- Volume seems to be at max setting, and the volume buttons on the TV don't work right. One of them (+) turns the tv on and off.
- The remote doesn't work properly. It will turn the tv on and off, but when it's pointed at the tv, the 'guide' thing will come up, and most buttons won't work. Volume, channel, menu, input, etc. Some will bring up the menu, which will select the option directly below it, even when I haven't pushed anything...and somehow, my tv menu is now in spanish. It's not much of a problem, but it only flashes on the screen, too fast for me to read it, not that the buttons will do anything to help me navigate the menu.
I really hope someone can help me. I've had it less than two months, and it worked for a little more than one month.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: RCA F31317 Model - Very strange problems
Sounds to me like there is an issue in the control circuit, and quite possibly the micro itself. If you have issue with both the remote and buttons I am thinking a microprocessor issue since they normally enter the micro at different locations and therefore would not have a single component cause a failure across both of them (Except the micro of course)
Best option may be a service center.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Most likely you have a bad highvoltage transformer and possibly a shorted horizontal output transistor. The transistor can be checked with a volt/ohm meter. Check collector to base. It should be over 1000 ohms. The transformer can be tested for inductance with an inductance meter or "ringer". One or both of these can cause the problem you described.
just follow the power cord where it goes into the tv and there is a small glass fuse right there,check to see if the small wire inside it is burnt out or if the fuse appears to be white or black inside.
the front panel assembly is rca part # 237420
I assume your chassis is a CTC203
Un plug the fpa and see if problem still acts up
you may not be able to find one
then try replacing the sticking buttons on it
R14109=750ohms 5% 1/4w
There is much more likely wrong with the TV. Resistor don't normally burn out with help, say, without a failing flyback transformer and possibly taking a transistor or two with it.
If you need the manual, go to
and type in "F31317" into the search field, you will several listings.
If you decide to replace it yourself, here's some more part numbers in case you need them.
Necessary parts: Transistor(Q14401)
Main Voltage regulator Q14101
Resistor R14109 open.
Research indicated the flyback transformer most probably bad
Hope this helps you.
"Beta tester of "0"s and "1's"
There is going to be a wire that is connected to the back of the tube. The item that wire comes from (Flyback Transformer) needs to be replaced. Also, the HOT (Horizontal Output Transistor) is likely bad as well. It'll be a 3 pin unit connected to a heat sync around the Flyback.
The unit is in shutdown (There is a failure in the unit). Repair should be rather inexpensive if take to a repair facility (I'd guess about $80.00 depending on labor rates in your area). And most will give you an estimate for very little ($20-40)