Until last night ScanJet 5500c worked just fine. Tried to scan a new picture this morning and all I get is a mostly black image. There is some yellow/brown color and the scan is a full page (8x11). The picture I'm scanning is 5x7.
I have tried this:
1) Uninstalled/installed the scanner through Device Mgr.
2) Uninstalled/installed software (HP Photo & Image v2.0)
3) Tried a different USB cable
4) Unplugged power cord for 60+ seconds to reset scanner
5) Used HP Chat support to troubleshoot
6) Checked all connectors, switched USB ports
Nothing seems to help.
The scanner is hooked up to a XP Pro (SP2) laptop computer with 1 Gb RAM, 3.0 Ghz processor, less than 2 yrs old.
Any hope that this scanner will work or is it a total loss?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
you may download drive for 5500c from "http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_pagetype=s-002&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go+%BB&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_query=5500c&x=0&y=0"<br /><br />you must vote for solution<br /><br /><img src="/uploads/images/8CEDBFA.JPG" /><br /><br /><br />
You can also scan and copy in Vista by using Windows Photo Gallery.
1. Click on files tab at the top in Window Photo Gallery. 2. Click on import from camera or scanner. 3. Highlight your scanner icon (eg HP 1310) then click import. 4. New scan window will popup, now you can preview or scan using this basic looking Vista utility.
See the item is placed correctly on the scanner glass or in the ADF.Make sure that the item you are trying to scan is placed face down onthe glass, or face up in the ADF.
Ifyou are using the ADF, there might be a page on the scanner glass.Raise the ADF unit and remove any pages on the scanner glass.
If you are using the ADF, the ADF window might need to be replaced.
I have an HP 5470c flatbed scanner. It started with partially black scans, and progressed finally to completely black pages. Tried here for answers. Found none. So I opened up my scanner, figured I had nothing to lose. Thought it might be the ribbon cable attached to the moveable tray. Was RIGHT!! Immediately saw a small frayed piece where it was rubbing against the tray. Used some Scotch Long Lasting Tape to re-connect. EUREKA. Problem fixed!!
I just purchased one of these scanners secondhand, and I have the same problem. You're seeing the underside of the lid where the film strip conveyors and other mechanicals are located. The previous owner (original purchaser) had a piece of white printer paper taped to the underside of the lid in order to prevent this effect. I'm really baffled as to why HP didn't install an insert for users who don't scan photographic prints and film strips.