GE Sensor JES1855 is around 2 1/2 yrs. old. While boiling pre-packaged rice in water, got a little too steamy, went to check on it. Hole melted in plastic wrap, so recovered with new piece, left door ajar to air out. Restarted and a few seconds later...CLICK. No screen, dead as door nail. Checked plug, it's fine. Gave it time to cool down, unplugged and replugged still nothing. Called Sears where purchased, they send out for large amounts of $$. GE Auth. repair even more. More to repair than to replace, such a shame. What a disposable nation we are!! Anything I can do? No one lets you talk to a repairman for helpful hints, would order part through them, if they would sugest a fix!!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: GE microwave unresponsive!
There shoudl be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) inside the oven.
The most common reasons for this are the magnetron thermal cutout and the fuse.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info (as well as a text file which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems) at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
why are you cooking rice for 30 minutes in a microwave????? the problem is that a microwave IS NOT A RICE COOKER!!!use a rice cooker or use instant rice and heat the water for 2 1/2 minutes only!! OR BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE!!
A Microwave Oven works by heating water/moisture in food: if the boiling action (e.g. when boiling water) is greater than the oven exhaust fan can cope with, then the inside will steam up and fog the door glass: this is usually OK and 'normal' (this is actual the advise in cleaning up the interior of a microwave oven - steamy soapy water - see your manual).
Re: GE JES1384SF Mine quit working so I unplugged it and put a pot of boiling water in it and let the steam dissolve whatever was gumming things up. I used an electric hot plate to keep the water boiling. I let it boil for a couple of hours. I left the door 2/3 open. The microwave is working again. It is four years old and has been used every day, many times a day before it stopped working.
Sounds like internal fault protection fuse blew. can be fixed by qualified technicians. their is very high voltage coils and capacitors within this unit and can cause harm or death instantly if not discharged properly.
WHEN THERE IS A BUZZING NOISE IT MEANS THAT ONE OF THE INTERNAL COMPONENT HAS FAILED .RANGING FROM A SMALL DIODE TO LARGE PARTS LIKE THE MAGNETRON OR TRANSFORMER OR CAPACITOR. IF IT IS 10 YRS,OLD YOUR BETTER OFF GETTING A NEW ONE .BECAUSE YOU COULD INVEST MONEY IN THIS ONE AND HAVE SOMETHING ELSE GO TWO DAYS FOR NOW.WITH A NEW ONE YOU ALSO END UP WITH THE NEW WARRANTY. HOPE I HELPED. KEN62 GOOD DAY!
Mine went dead after about 6 months. I had problems with my breakers and I found out that it was the microwave that blew all of them. I also found out that this perticular microwave is a fire hazard and should be recalled. It has caused me alot of headache. The breakers in my house are brand new and they are put out by GE also. It caused me to loose the food in my freezer, I did not know my freezer had lost power. It would cause my entire lights to go off and then they would come back on. I have checked around and I found out that the power cord on the back of the unit is very loose. I had a person to come in and look at it, he thinks its the power cord.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation
It is supposed to be when it cooks. If not, it may be burned out.
If that's the case, one would have to remove the cover to get to it.
You can usually find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full
model number here. We're
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.