A couple years ago, I swapped the original (7A2) battery for a car battery and had to be careful, because I measured some 90V or so, between the housing and battery terminals.
It all went good until the day I accidentally misplaced the setting on my multimeter; instead of the voltage measuring setting, I had it on Amp setting. Result: It shorted the circuit, the house fuses went off and now my 525bt only works via battery supply, running only about 5 minutes after switching on the main switch of the unit. The 5 fuses of the unit are all O.K.; nothing looks burned.
I'm a fourty year experienced hobby electronics fan and would need a circuit schematic to find and repair the damage.
In the worst case I thought of powering the unit via two 13V/4Amp transformers in (parallel phase)via a bridge rectifier, a 60oooMF/16V electrolytic capacitor and an automotive relay, switching over to battery PS in case power failure.
The only problem I then would have is: how to get rid of that timed 5 minutes automatic turn off cycle??? It must be in that IC or is there a timing cap responsible for it? What to do? I would greatly appreciate some advice on that.
Maybe I'm able to reward you for your good advice with offering you some joy with my musical twitter-talent? ( http://www.live-styler.de/home/images/jj... )
I'm a retired (66) living in Chile and we got lots of power problems... My email: [email protected]
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: I'm in trouble... blew my UPS :(
You are complicating your power problem. It looks like a surgeon that gets a cold, gets involved in his medical knowledge and decides to implant himself a heatr rate monitor. If you have a serious power problem in Chile, your best bet is to buy a UPS with enough capacity to handle the load for extensive periods of time. American Power Protection has a very good configuration tool on its website (www.apc.com).
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Your batteries would have been weak from 5 years of use. The Lightening could of blew out one of your batteries. The UPS did it's job but at a price. I would replace the batteries first then see how it works
Try contacting Eaton. They bought Powerware about 6 years ago and the personnel are trained on older Powerware systems. If you have the part number and serial number from the rating label on the UPS, that would be helpful.
If I knew the specific UPS model, I might be able to provide some better input. At this point, I would contact Eaton product support. Eaton acquired the MGE single-phase UPS line a couple of years ago and assumed support/service for these products:
Have you load tested the batteries? DCV is not a good enough test for the batteries, they could still open right up under load. If the UPS is over 3 years old, I'd swap the batteries. Your power is drawing solely from the batteries on AC line loss, so if the UPS is failing when that occurs, almost certainly is the batteries.
In our office, I have had to replace UPS batteries AGAIN two years after I replaced the original batteries in the units. I had purchased the replacement batteries locally, so I don't know if the brand of replacement batteries was not as good as the original batteries or what. But your weak battery light is not flashing ... I would try a replacement battery (if it isn't too expensive) but I know that some of the older batteries are no longer used in the newer UPS units so if the problem wasn't the battery you are stuck with a new battery and nothing to use it for.
I have the same problem.
It is most likely the battery.
I tested my battery on a Shumacher trickle charger, and the battery wouldn't hold a charge.
This is a common problem with UPS systems that use sealed lead acid batteries.
The longest life that you can expect with these types of batteries is 5 years MAX.
The battery can be replaced with a Radio Shack 12V/7200mAh Lead-Acid Battery
Model: CNB-GP1270F2 | Catalog #: 23-9030
Here is the link for the UPS users manual.
To replace battery, (unplug AC cord), turn the UPS upside down on floor or workbench.
Remove the 6 deeply recessed phillips screws, then pull the bottom off.
Remove the wire leads from the old battery (pull on the connectors, not
the wires). Install new battery (red wire to red or + sign) and replace
the bottom and screws. Careful, tighten the screws finger tight
(plastic strips easily).
Plug in UPS and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps
All UPS uses some sort of battery to power the unit in the event of a power outage. Like car batteries they also have a life span which can be a couple of months to a year or so. If the UPS has been in service for some time, perhaps it simply needs a replacement battery. On the other hand, if the unit is fairly new and carries warranty, it may be to your advantage to consult your dealer and claim for a replacement.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.