I'm new here and hoping that someone may have some thoughts on how to fix my problem. I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 Receiver that is powering down almost immediately after it is turned on (approx. 1 second max after turning on). I have read through some of the other posts and while this sounds similar, my display does not look unusual and does not have any "protection" type messages on the display in the brief time that it is on. We have checked all the speaker connections to make sure that everything is connected properly. We have disconnected all other components (i.e. satellite, tv, etc.) and it still is shutting itself down right away. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem might be? I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone might have to solve this problem. Thanks in advance for your response!
Generally speaking, an amp protects itself from heat, shorts, overloads and operator exuberance by refusing to turn on or stay on.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output or marginally low impedance loading by the speakers; and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'naked'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced and competent hands-on tech.
Usually answered in minutes!