Canon MV630i Mini DV Digital Camcorder Logo

Question about Canon MV630i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

How to use the MV6401 as an AD converter

Hi there A friend just gave me an old MV640i and I was planing to use it as an analog/digital converter, since it it one of a few left with analog input. Does any of you know how to do this? What cables I need? (I did not get enay cables with the cam) IS there anyplace I can download the manual for this cam? I have over 20 hour's on vhs tape that I need to convert to digital an read some place that a DV cam with analog in was the best thing to use. TIA SvavarK

Posted by Anonymous on

  • Anonymous May 28, 2007

    Thank you for your response.
    I already have the cam connected to my computer an can import video, using Adobe premiere.

    My question is more "How do I record the analog video to the miniDV"

    The cam has an S- video connector. Is that AV in and just hit REC?

  • Anonymous May 29, 2007

    Thank you juandelacruz

    Well I already have a KWorld TV card with s video in, an I have been experimenting with that. But I read it somwhere on the internet that I would get better result using a DV cam with analog in. And since I got this one for free I thought I should give it a chance.
    Now I am going to find the right cables an give it a try.

    But since we are on the topic. The reson I got the DV-cam is that it does not run on battery's only on the powercord. Even with fully charged battery. Any thoughts on how to fix this og get a "How to take your canon MV630i apart" :=)
    Regards Svavar.



1 Answer


  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 125 Answers

There are more direct way of transferring VHS to digital format (MPG, AVI, etc. There are now cheap video capture devices like TV tuner, or a video capture card tha connects to USB 2.0 port. However if you still want to use this camera, this ?s what you need to do. 1. Connect the camera to the PC. Most MiniDV cams have an iterface called i-link, firewire or IEEE-1394. If your computer has no shuch interface, you have to install. 2. Record the analog video to the miniDV tape. 3.CApture the recorded tape to the PC. You need to video capture software to do this. You may need to convert the format to the format that you prefer. 4. Burn the vdeo to DVD, you will need a burner and video autthoring softare such as nero.

Posted on May 28, 2007

  • Anonymous May 28, 2007

    In many cameras with analog video in, if there is a video connected, activating the record button will record from the external video in rather than the camera.

    If you are planning to buy a firewire interface card, might as well bus an inexpensive video capture card and digitize direct from the VHS player rather than recording to the mini DV and digitizing in the PC. Dircetly capturing the VHS video will save you time.

  • Anonymous May 30, 2007

    I agree that DV transfer to PC is better, if you use the i-link (firewire) connection. However, there will be some losses when you transfer the analog tape to the miniDV tape.
    I have also many tapes, analog Hi8 and MiniDV that I took since 1998 that I need to transfer therm to Disk. Like you, the reason that I switched to MiniDV is to transfer my Hi8 video to miniDV first before transferring to PC. I tried many products and finally found a device with internal MPEG encoder engine (AOPEN Xrecorder VX2000s)

    In my case because of the sheer number of tapes (maybe at least 100), I need a fast solution. Using the device mentioned will take me only one third of the time needed if I will be using other PC-based method. Remember that you will have to record the analog to DV tape, then you have to digitize the dv tape to PC. If cannot encode DVD quality (MPEG-2) on the fly, you have to re-encode again before burning the video to DVD.

    For 1-hour video, this is the time that you will need to put everything on DVD format.

    Transfer VHS-miniDV - 1 hour
    Transfer miniDV to PC - 1 hour
    encode to MPEG-2 format - 1.5 to 3 hours depending on the CPU
    Burn the Video to DVD - 5 to 20 minutes depending on the speed.

    As for the battery problem, fisrt make sure that tha battery is OK. Measure the voltage (it should be slightly greater that what is indicated) and put a load (amall 6 volts lamp,etc) and see if the battery holds. If the battery is really OK, then there must be some contact problem.



Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:


I need code for digital stream box for a trinatron tv

Faq - digital stream technology, Inc. ( digital stream ...
Can I use my Universal Remote Control to operate the converter box? ... Do I need a special antenna to receive digital or high-definition TV? .... Note: If you want to reset the remote back to the beginning of the TV code list, clear the memory by ...

Installation - digital stream technology, Inc. ( digital stream ...
Connecting the DTV Converter Box to your Analog TV Set with RF cable · - Connecting the DTV Converter Box to your Analog TV Set with Audio/Video cable

Digital Stream Analog Pass-through DTV Converter Box, Inc.
Rating: 3.4 - ‎131 reviews
Digital Stream Converter Box Remote DTX9950 ... RCA DTA-800B1 Digital To Analog Pass-through TV Converter Box ... I think the bad capacitor is something like a 16 Volt capacitor, and you have to replace it with a ... remote(I was able to find the code for my old JC Penny TV), a seperate button for channel signal strength, ... Customer Reviews: Digital Stream Analog ..., Inc.Digital Stream Analog Pass-through DTV Converter Box ... the code for my old JC Penny TV), a seperate button for channel signal strength, ... My brother somehow found out that there have been many of these Digital Stream boxes that were .... button that you can program into your tv (mine is a 1990's 11" Sony Trinitron).

Do i need a converter box for a samsung syncmaster 940 mw

It depends. What are you using the monitor for? If you want to watch digital TV, you need a digital to analog converter. (It has an NTSC tuner.) Note: the digital to analog converters that were subsidized by the US government coupon only gave SD out.

If you are connecting to a PC, it has DVI-D (21 pin SCART) and VGA connections (15 pin SCART). (An HDMI to DVI cable or adapter would connect to HDMI video cards.) Most other set-top boxes will connect to the component, composite or S-video connectors.

I hope this helps.

Cindy Wells

We are in Ghana we need frequency and we update to get more channel

Your flat panel TV is probably factory set to receive ATSC signals (Hi-def DIGITAL TV), whereas
Ghana may not have converted from analog TV (NTSC) yet.

Digital TV's cannot receive analog signals. I'm just guessing about whether or not Ghana supports
Hi-Def broadcasts - you'll have to check with (any) TV channel in Ghana. The Analog-to-digital
conversion is an expensive one at the broadcast end, and may not have happened yet in Ghana.

The US conversion took place by FCC mandate June 12, 2009.
There are available $65 (USD) digital-to-analog converters, but what you may need is an
analog-to-digital converter, which doesn't exist. Your Flat-panel TV amy have to wait until Ghana
begins broadcasting a Hi-Def TV channel.

For a HD antenna, a regular old rabbit ear-type antenna will do.

I have an old TV, which is now connected to the digital-analog converter box. How do I add a DVD player to this (it's so a not very mobile senior citizen can watch movies). Thanks very much!

You need an RF convertor (available most electronis stores -Walmart) Check instructions of RF converter purchased
The video audio cables (R,W,Y) should be connected to the matching colors on the RF converter and the RF cable (standard cable)should be connected from the RF conv. where it say "to TV" to the TV and the TV should be set to either Ch3 o Ch4 (you can usually choose on the RF conv.) the cable from the cable provider should be connected to where it says "in from antenna or cable in on the RF conv.

I have a small am fm radio a Sony which gets basic tv stations at least it did up to June 12 when all went digital... I now can't get get any reception on tv channels. What can I do? Thank you

You will have to purchase a digital to analog TV recption converter. Here in Canada, they are about $100.00 dollars. I doubt if you want to pay that much, I wouldn't.

I have a tb110mw9 converter "not getting all my channels"

if your channel was fuzzy in analog then you will not get it in digital because digital is pretty much all or nothing. I would try a an antenna with longer signal range.

Does my tv have a digital tuner (RCA Model E13320, 2/2001)?

The digital tuner has nothing to do with the new signal you will be receiving in February of next year. The new video signal is a digital signal. The old video signal is analog. Your television receives the analog signal and converts it to what you see on television. You need a converter box to convert the new digital signal back to an analog signal your television can convert.


Converter boxes

You can pick the box up at your local Best Buy
Not finding what you are looking for?


Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Canon Video Cameras Experts

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

19127 Answers


Level 3 Expert

8603 Answers

Lawrence Oravetz

Level 3 Expert

10558 Answers

Are you a Canon Video Camera Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides