Question about Magellan RoadMate 700 GPS Receiver
Hi, I have yet another Magellan 700 that appears to have issues trying to lock to a signal. Even after resetting the GPS, manually setting the location, and waiting for 5-10 minutes for lock, it only works about 20% of the time. Even when it does find the location, it immediate loses it if I move more than a few feet. The AZ/EL/time appear to have real values (not sure how accurate they are, but they're non-zero). If lock wasn't achieved (80% of the time) the SNR shows 0. If lock was met (20% of the time), and then I move, the lock is lost (red icon, then black), a few of the satellites show a really low (values in the 5-10 range) SNR and the rest show 0. I've tried with 2 different antennas and it doesn't seem to matter. In fact, disconnecting the antenna doesn't seem to affect the SNR, as displayed on the GPS status screen. I sort of suspect the circuitry that RF modulates or amplifies the incoming signal, but I really don't know much about the internal technical details. Any suggestions? Thanks, --ken PS. Does anyone know how to interpret the last few columns of the GPS status (rev 4.0 software) screen?
Me again...I took the unit apart and found out that there is a coax cable between the back board and the middle board. The cable has plug in connectors (v. small size) and the female connectors are soldered SMT on the boards. They are coming out quite easy..so one of them was literally ripped off the board. I soldered it with quite a fine iron,did a reset and I am back in business.....as a footnote my readings in AZ /El were all zeros!!!!
Posted on Jul 01, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 11, 2009 | Magellan MAESTRO 3100 98083401 GPS Device
Jun 14, 2009 | Magellan RoadMate 700 GPS Receiver
Apr 16, 2007 | Magellan RoadMate 700 GPS Receiver
Mar 03, 2007 | Magellan RoadMate 700 GPS Receiver
Sep 17, 2006 | Magellan RoadMate 700 GPS Receiver
231 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!