I have a Toshiba Satellite A30. It works fine running off a charged battery but when I plug the power adapter in, the pack on the adapter starts beeping and won't charge. If I try to plug it in to the back of the laptop with the power switched on already it starts to spark. Yes, I have a problem!!! I thought it might have been the power jack so I had that replaced and it is doing exactly the same thing. I've been told that I need a new motherboard but I don't want to pay $1200 for a new one.
Any suggestions as to what it could be?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: Beeping power adapter
The problem is most likely (85% sure) with the DC Jack itself, that is one of the rarer issues with it.
Since it is a 2-state switch, the likelihood of both circuits closing is my guess. And also the cheapest repair. I have been completely through the A75 without a schematic, and have to remember it's quirks in design.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
remove the battery pack and power source. make sure nothing is plugged into the laptop. hold down on the power button for 30 seconds. then reinstall battery, plug the the adapter into a known live power source (the real reason for your problem) and power it up!
How do you know the ac adapter is working? Just because the light on the ac adapter is on doesn't mean it's working. Does it work with the ac adapter plugged in? Just not charging the battery. If in the first case just buy a new ac adapter and see if it works, most are affordable some not so much. If the battery isn't charging then you will have to shop for a new battery. If both of those are good then you have either a bad ac plug on your laptop, or motherboard issues. Hope this helps, if you have more questions just reply and I will try to help.
Is the AC Power adapter the original adapter of the laptop? If it is,
try to drain the battery and charge it for 8-12 hours without using or opening the laptop just charge it. After charging, remove the power adapter as you open your laptop. Make this way a habbit of using and charging your laptop to make the charging and battery life last long.
That means that you will be needing a new battery. I would suggest that when you get a new battery (hopefully from the manufacturer) What you should do it charge it, and don't recharge it untill it has completely dead. That will help to preserve the battery longer.
All The Best,
Creative Energy Associates Technical Center
I would suggest that you try it with another AC adapter first, because it seems the adapter is faulty and therefore supplying more current into the laptop than necessary. If it works perfectly with another AC Adapter, then you might just have to change your AC Adapter. Hope it helps. Goodluck!
Hi ! While power off, disconnect the power adaptor. Take off battery.
Plug the power adaptor back and try to start ! Is it running?
If yes, than the power adaptor is OK.
Now shut down and disconnect the power adaptor. Put back your battery and start! Leave it untill you 'empty' the battery. Do not start your laptop.
Plug the power adaptor and do not start your laptop yet. Is there a led idicator showing that the battery is charging ? Does it shows when the battery is full charged (e.g. red/yellow=charging, to green/off charged)? If not, leave it for at least 3 hours. After that, start your laptop (adaptor is plugged) and see if you still have an icon saying charging 99%.
If that is the case, then something is wrong with the battery.
Check your warranty, and replace it. DO NOT OPEN the battery - nothing interesting you will find inside - nothing you can do !