Question about Power Acoustik TS1920-2 Car Audio Amplifier

1 Answer

Protect light stays on

I was driving yesterday and the amp overheated, so i disconnected it and pulled it out of the trunk to let it cool overnight. I went to hook it up again this morning, and it only powers on for about half a second when the stereo is turned on and then the light comes on again. I pulled off the back cover and it didn't seem as though anything was fried internally, checked the wiring from the battery, checked all the fuses, just about everything i can think of and nothing. What is wrong????

Posted by chase janisch on

Ad

1 Answer

Anonymous

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Corporal:

    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.

    Mayor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 19 Answers

Se if power suplie is 12/14V if not repair charger ,try disconecting all of outputs and it heats up (mosfet's)

Posted on May 06, 2007

Ad

Add Your Answer

×

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

0helpful
1answer
0helpful
1answer

2007 town & counrty (3.8) cooling fans staying on

the radiator temperature is broken or cable to it is disconnected ?
if true they are set to run constant the fans to protect the engine from overheating. also check the relay is still seated correctly.
1helpful
2answers

I have a 250 watt radio shack amp. it comes on but when the volume is raised to about half the protection light flashes and the amp shuts down until i lower the volume.

Generally speaking, an amp attempts to protect itself from heat, shorts, overloads and operator exuberance by refusing to turn on or stay on.

Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output or marginally low impedance loading by the speakers; and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.

You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.

If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.

If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'nekkid'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced and competent hands-on tech.

Check for loose speaker connections at the speaker as another possible root cause for intermittent shutdown.
0helpful
1answer

One channel thermal overload stays lit and no output from that channel. even after unit sits overnight, thermal light on immediately,unit not hot. Looking for schematic?

Red light is on if:
- thermal protection, overheated amp, bad thermo sensor
- DC at speaker terminals
- high current at output transistors
Also could be a protection circuit malfunction.
In any case you need new channel module or send your module or whole amp for repair here.
Thanks,
Paul
1helpful
1answer

Prosound amp is running fine but the protect light is still on

Hello martinpresto,

The most likely causes are overheating and operating the amp into too low of an impedance. Or the amp itself could be failing. If the protect comes on immediately after the amp has cooled overnight, it's probably not overheating. Too low of an impedance can be caused by a shorted voice coil.

You can check the load with a multimeter. Disconnect the speaker wires and measure their resistance with a multimeter. Since the published impedance is nominal and varies with frequency, you'll be reading the DC resistance. Some manufacturers include the figure in their "R subscript e" specification. Usually, it's a little lower than the impedance. So a 4 ohm load may read 3.2 ohms. If the DC resistance checks OK, it's probably the amp itself.

Hope this helps.
0helpful
1answer

Sony xplod amp(XM-1652Z ) power/protect light

if your amp is overheating your sub is needing to much power that the amp doesnt have.
if its cutting out and the red light comes on you need to check the wiring. nothing not even the tinyest speaker wires can be touching.
proper wiring would be your best bet.
but i would upgrade amps.
cheap bang isnt reliable.
0helpful
2answers

Looking for wiring info on a 1986 lincoln town car

Had same prob.Put volt meter on amps and read amp draw on battery as you pull fuses out.mine was ingnition switch was not turning off when key out.
0helpful
1answer

FUSE

It will most likely be the courtesy light fuse, or it may be marked interior lights, it will most likely be 15 amp.
0helpful
1answer

OVERHEAT PROTECTION

The thermal protection would have reset when the amp cooled down. When cool, if it still goes into protection when it powers up, there are likely blown output transistors. To be sure it's not a wiring problem, disconnect the speaker wires 'from the terminal block of the amp' and disconnect the RCA cables from it. If it still goes into protection, the output transistors are almost certainly shorted.
Not finding what you are looking for?
Power Acoustik TS1920-2 Car Audio Amplifier Logo

Related Topics:

62 views

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Power Acoustik Car Audio & Video Experts

 Francisco Mauricio...
Francisco Mauricio...

Level 3 Expert

1551 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76795 Answers

Steve Sweetleaf
Steve Sweetleaf

Level 3 Expert

1190 Answers

Are you a Power Acoustik Car Audio and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...