Question about HP Business Notebook NX9110 Notebook
I have had this problem with my Hp for a few months now. I go to start it up, it can be anywhere from the windows start up screen to 20 minutes running and it turns off like the battery is flat. I tried to remove the battery and just have mains power but it still does it (even having the battery in and disconnecting the mains it switches off automatically). Only thing I can think of is the power adapter... any thoughts?????? please!! az
Hello, This usually indicates a heating problem. You can do the following tests to furthermore reduce the "suspects" list. If the power adaptor is damaged, or you think may cause that you can simply check the green led on it. These power adaptors are actually ac/dc convertors that have some electronic protections incorporated. If for some reason they get damaged they woun't be able to provide the required current to keep the laptop powered up and they will turn off. Also if the laptop is damaged and drains more power then usuall the adapter will automatically cut off power due to a internal failsafe protection. In any of these cases you can notice that the green led turns off even if the adapter is still plugged in. A service intervention is required here because most likely the problem is with the laptop requiring more current then usual, not the adaptor being damaged and not able to provide. Another thing you can check is the way this problem occurs. Try powering laptop using only battery power one time, and only ac power another time. If the problem still appears, it is not related to the power source being used, and combined with the first test, gives you a pretty shure way to know that batteries and charger are pretty much OK. Now my personal "main suspect". To prove you my point, do the following test. Use both battery and ac power for this one. Turn on the laptop and check the clock to see how much time it will stay on while running iddle, without you doing anything to it. Just keep it on. You will get a time value. Then another time check to see how much time it will stay off when you use it very intensly for playing video games, using as much programs as possible at the same time or playing a movie and in the same time playing music from another program. I guess in this case, it will turn off a lot faster than first case. The reason is this: All HP laptops (pretty much all laptops) have a failsafe device built into them that measures the processor's main temperature. If this rises above a certain safety level that device will simply power off the laptop to avoid processor overheating. Normally as you can gues, this isn't suposed to happen because the cooling system of your laptop should take care of the extra heat. However, over time, the cooling system can become inefective due to dust stuck into it, blocking the air ducts or reducing the spin speed of the small cooler inside. Because of this, the cooling system can't perform at nominal eficiency and overheating becomes a problem. In this case, you will have to go to a service center, but don't worry, it's not an expensive repair. They would most probably have to simply clean up the cooling fan or the air ducts in order to have the cooling system work properly again. Where to go? If your laptop is in warantty and you have this option, send it to a hp authorised service. If not... avoid them because they are expensive. TRy a smaller generic "laptop service" not the larger ones working for corporation. The smaller ones are more cheaper and there is absolutely no difference in the quality of the work being done, having noted the simplicity of the problem. If you however need more assistance, I can gladely assist. Also please excuse my poor english as I live in a non-english speaking country. Good luck and please rate any answer received from the members of this site.
Posted on May 04, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!